Best road Suspension Setup

tinribs

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,
I have spent ages reading through all the posts on suspensions and wheels.

I want to improve the handling of my Micra, I do not want a super hard ride, So I was kind of leaning toward the Bilstien street kit. What would be the best size wheels, would it be best to stick to the standard size and just get alloys?

will i get and rubbing / knocking from dropping the suspension 35mm and would it be best to fit camber adjustment bolts?

thanks guys

i would personally say the koni adjustable dampers are better than the bilsteins. The old Eibach-Bilstein springs are my personal favourite (look up matt humphris) for a good match.

Alloy size i would go for either go for 14's or 15's. As for camber kits, yes you can get them and yes the lowering of your suspension will affect your caster and camber but it is something you can live with on a day to day basis unless you are looking to go the next step really.

Thanks Mike,
I just thought of the bilstien kit because its cheap! got a baby coming along in 6 weeks so I have to be a bit careful with what I spend for the time being.
Would have thought that Koni would be well out of my price range

depending on the age of the car you may find just replacing your suspension with new blue print parts it will be a massive improvement.

I've not been in a k11 that has the bilstein road setup, however i have heard it is a good setup and there gear is normally built to take punishment

Hi

WE have the Bilstein street kits in stock and you can buy the springs and dampers seperately in necessary, You could try just the springs on their own first which would make a big improvement. If after fitting springs you wanted the dampers then thats ok. The Bilstein Street kit is very good and does not make the ride too hard. The dampers are built to the same spec as the original Nissan dampers, the only difference is the oil in the Bilstein's is under a gas pressure hense gas dampers. The gas helps to keep the oil under control for better damping. It is the springs which will stiffen the suspension.

Give me a ring if you are interested 01865 748000 www.humphrisoxford.co.uk

Matthew

Hi

WE have the Bilstein street kits in stock and you can buy the springs and dampers seperately in necessary, You could try just the springs on their own first which would make a big improvement. If after fitting springs you wanted the dampers then thats ok. The Bilstein Street kit is very good and does not make the ride too hard. The dampers are built to the same spec as the original Nissan dampers, the only difference is the oil in the Bilstein's is under a gas pressure hense gas dampers. The gas helps to keep the oil under control for better damping. It is the springs which will stiffen the suspension.

Give me a ring if you are interested 01865 748000 www.humphrisoxford.co.uk

Matthew

Cool, how much for the Bilstien kit?

Bilstein Street Kit

The Bilstein Street kit would cost £295.00. That's for 4 dampers and 4 springs and I would deliver them for that price.

Matthew

The reason our kits cost £25.00 more is due to the better springs we put with the kits. These drop the car by 50 - 55mm. The rear springs are progressive Eibach's and normally cost around 70.00 each plus vat. £ 25.00 is a small price to pay for the best set up and everything is in stock so you could have it for the weekend if you place an order before noon tomorrow.

Matt, i think when my next part of my student loan comes through, I'll be having one of them kits for the bigger drop. Coilovers are gonna take too long for me to save for!

Would you recommend anything else to be upgraded at the same time?
Adjustable panhard rod?
ARBs maybe?

I've got castor and camber kits i can put on if you think I'd need them?

The Bilstein Street kit would cost £295.00. That's for 4 dampers and 4 springs and I would deliver them for that price.

Matthew

Thats sounds like a better deal if im getting better springs, but I only wanted to drop it 30 - 35mm as I didnt want to have to go the whole hog with adjusting the camber / caster for now

You do not need to adjust the camber or caster with the 50mm drop springs
You will however need to adjust the tracking. You can also have the kit with 35mm drop springs if you perfer.

Matt, i think when my next part of my student loan comes through, I'll be having one of them kits for the bigger drop. Coilovers are gonna take too long for me to save for!

Would you recommend anything else to be upgraded at the same time?
Adjustable panhard rod?
ARBs maybe?

I've got castor and camber kits i can put on if you think I'd need them?

You are right, Ajustable Panhard rod and anti roll bars will make a big difference when fitted with the springs etc

I'd get the panhard rod as I've read about it being important when dropping more than 35mm, would you say anti roll bars are essential? Or could I add them at a later date?

You do not need to adjust the camber or caster with the 50mm drop springs
You will however need to adjust the tracking. You can also have the kit with 35mm drop springs if you perfer.

If I buy this kit from you and take it to a garage to be fitted, then what's the average cost of doing this?

You say the tracking needs to be adjusted, is this an expensive thing to do?

Providing nothing is seized and everything comes apart ok 2 - 2.5hrs at what ever the garage charges per hour. Changing the springs and dampers can be done at home without any special tools.

Matt, how long are you likely to have these for, as the springs were special order weren't they?

If needs be I'll buy the suspension at the end of the month and then store it 'til I've saved some more so i can get the panhard rod and it ll fitted!

WE had 10 sets of springs made which arrived last week. I have only sold 2 sets up to now so I'm sure they will not sell out over night.

Back