before i buy

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Before I buy new shocks, springs and panhard rod i just have to know are these all home install jobs or should i take the micra to the shop? Also, is there anything else i can purchase to improve handling of the car?

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
i installed these things in my micra at home and it went pretty easy. id never done this before so i got a haynes manual which makes it straight forward, and youll need some tools... i was realy happy that i did it myself!

there is soo you can purchase to improve the micra... mmm coilovers... next step in handling ppl will say sway bars, and ive have to agree, make the micra handle sooo much better! next thing i want personally is the whitline antilift/castor kit...

which springs shocks have you settled with?

joel

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
dude, i work on my skyline and micra, the micra is a peace of piss compared to the skyline lol.

My mechanic was over my house doing the suspension, if we had had all the parts (we had to go to the shops to get get stuff) we would have had it done inside an hour and a half.

Just make sure you get some good spring compressors, we didn't need them putting the lowered springs on (just make sure you have a mate to help push them down when you put the nut on.

As for other purchases, i'm going strut bars and panhard rod next.

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
oh and double check all the bolts lol, we left the rear left, bottom bolt for the shock loose, started banging away as it loosened off, made for a fun drive home from work to fix lol

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
ok thanks guys, my dads a mechanic but i couldn't get hold of him when i typed the thread up, but I'm so glad i don't have to pay some overcharging wanker for otherwise easy installations. Everyone is talking about the haynes manual, I went to my library and surprise surprise, micra was the only one they didnt have, do bookstores carry it or should i buy on the net?

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
i've been trying to find a copy, they sell its online for its like $60 for a digital copy which i think is a bit much. hven't seen them anywhere else though I'm sure autobarn/supercheap/repco would order them in for you

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Hey Pierce, I have a PDF that I created a while back to show how to do the install. - No spring compressors necessary at all :)

If you want a copy let me know and I'll dig it out and email it to you.

As for the Manual - Autobarn got mine in for me for under $60

Good Luck.

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Yeah it's a heaps easy job. I hadn't done it before either when I did mine, so it took a longer than needed, plus other distractions lol.

When you get the panhard adjusted to the right lenght and installed, go for a drive then come back and make sure you tighten the big nut again.

I didn't do it tight enough the first time, and it worked loose so that the whole bar was flexing only ever so slightly as I drove around, but enought for a really anoying squeek to fill the whole cabin. It took me ages to work out what it was.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back