Banging/Grinding on front left.. help :(

the missis called me yesterday and said there was a funny flapping noise coming from the car, and she said it was coming from the front.. not alot of help i know

i got it home last night, drives perfectly fine, no loss of power car feels to handle perfectly.

but when you turn left of right you hear like metal clanging together.. it does this intermittently.. we went in a carpark to try recreate the turning so i could narrow it down but we couldnt replecate it.

does anyone have any idea?

sounds like the cv joint on your driveshaft is split mate
look on your front wheels is there any grease around the inside of them?
if it is the inner one it wont show the grease it will b too far in
but it does sound like this
when u go round a corner it goes clunk clunk clunk and the faster u go the faster it gets??

if u have the tools they r pretty easy mate, they cost about £12 each but will cost £40 each in a garage prob...
if not more....
i gotta do one of mine but its has a tiny hole in it so i am prob gonna glue it lol
ummm let me think.. have u got a haynes manual?
im guessin we talkin micra yeah?

yea its on the micra, i dont have a haynes, but i guess it would be handy to get one actually.. lol

i dont think ill beable to sort it to the weekend, will this cause problems if she drove it 50 miles a day?

depenmds how long it has been clunking.
if there is still grease in there then it will b ok but when there is no grease the driveshaft grinds itself away and then u need a new driveshaft which is £80...
so the sooner the better mate!
its a pretty simple procedure...
umm im tryin to think how i could get the page to u lol
i havent got a scanner so i cant sent it to u like that..

i have taken pics of the inner and the outer joint but its prob just the 2 outer's that need doing yeah?

Remember transmission fluid will drain if u take out the driveshaft, i suggest trying to keep it in the box to save mess and time....

If you think this is too hard you can get a split boot joint which is cut in half and u glue it on..
I did this with mine and i didnt glue it right and is starting to split again.
also if using the split joint make sure you look at the driveshaft and turn it so the side you glue is when the joint will be streached... i did it when it was not streached and as soon as the wheel turned it streatched and split thats y i messed up...
you will understand when you turn the weel and se the joint streaching and compressing due to the odd angle the driveshaft is set.

Also whatever joint you get , get some cable ties because the metal ones that are supplied are rubbish they do not go tight, just join a couple of normal ones together and put em on tight

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    844.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    790.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG