Various problems on my k11 Please Help!!

CMF_Bobnick45

» CMF Member
Ok here goes.....changed battery as battery died....car ran fine for just under a week. Went to get in one morning and had engine check light flashing car started then died after about 5 secs. Went through checked all fuses and connections but all appeared fine. went out today to continue investigating....put a paper clip across diagnostic plug to get a code but when i turned key on (but didnt start the engine) i heard a buzzin noise from engine so went out and it is coming from a black box which is located behind the battery just under the air intake pipes and i have no idea what it is or does???
also was checkin the ecu box and when i pulled it out a few small drips came out of it when i had it on its side which i assume to be condensation as we have had pretty cold weather here lately. so disconnected it and put in a warm room in house to ensure dry when i reconnect it. Also i must say i am better mechanically, but all this electrical stuff is rather out of my league, just givin it a go to save costs!! any help or advice would be gratefully received!! :)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Bobnick45 WROTE:

"thanks frank, ok got ya!! derr! no i havent.....will try 2moro. Do you know what the black box is that i wrote about earlier as it is making a loud buzzin and i think this could be more of a problem.

there,s some fuses and relays to the left and front of the battery iirc (i dont recall any behind it tho )
the injector fuse/holder is very prone, or a nats problem maybe ?

frank

CMF_Bobnick45

» CMF Member
have checked the fuseholder throughly no probs there....could be a nats prob but not sure where to start or indeed if theres anything i could do with it? but yes there is a little bout 4" square black box behind battery with a removable cover (similar to the fusebox) but has no markings on it, was tryin to de-clip the sides (with a knife...derrr again) to see if i could peek in 2day and promtly stabbed myself in the finger, so gave up and thought i would ask someone who may no what it is!!

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
its not an aftermarket alarm is it ? (fire a pic up if you can)
the chip receiver (around the ignition barrel) can fail, but i think nats problems are pretty rare tbh
if it runs for a few secs with some fuel down the t/b or a wetted filter, then i would check for the pump priming and a live to the injectors

frank

CMF_Bobnick45

» CMF Member
cant do pic now but will do one in morning.... could be the barrel actually as i have a spare key with no chip in it and the car would always react in the way the car is acting now....ie; key with no chip in would set the check light flashing then car would start then shut down after about 5-10 secs.
I did get a chap out to code a new key for me as i thought the key had failed but he said my key was fine but when he plugged in his diagnostic machine he said it was throwing up error codes, one code i remember seeing was 49, think another was 273 but there were several different ones.

CMF_Bobnick45

» CMF Member
Ok heres the latest.....after leaving ecu in warm room it must have dried out the condensation as put it all back together and no flashing engine check light and car runs normally.....the little black buzzin box was the abs relays which in turn caused the ABS dash light to come on and no ABS working......left for a while then checked for sensor cables....then realised my brake pads needed changing which i guess could be throwing the ABS as pads very low. Took the car for a short run....all lights off on dash and car appears normal. So i'm guessing the ecu was a bit damp....outside of that i have no idea why its working but just glad it is. Thanks to reading so much useful information on this site I would be quite happy to have a go at electrics again.

Back