bad noise

i heard a low knocking noise in my engine today...checked it for oil and it was low eniugh but oil light never came on.....i pARKED IT UP FOR 2 HOURS ...WENT TO DRIVE IT AGAIN BUT THE NOISE WAS SLIGHTY MORE LOUDER AND I THINK ITS COMING FROM THE TIMING CHAIN ANY IDEAS....BY THE WAY I JUST REALISED I CHANGED INTO CAPITOLS BUT IM NOT WRITING ALL THAT AGAIN :D

Top up the oil and make sure you keep on top of it. Mine made some knocking/tapping sounds for a number of months and just a few days ago blew the side of the engine out. Mind you, it had previously suffered a hydraulic lock which definitely did some internal damage which has been waiting to surface. Do you know if the engine has previously been run low on oil or sucked in some water?

well i own the car for 6 months and i have kept it topped with oil,when i bought it the oil was nearly over the full mark....it ran great and still does so id say i hasnt sucked in any water or ran with no oil.....the sound only started yesterday....tomorrow i will fill it with oil and have a closer look

Back