Back box or full exhust system?

Is it still good to just have a back box or is it worth putting in a whole new exhust system? And if I go for just a back box what should I avoid?

Im interested in this, I wouldnt mind paying extra, if a full system really gives extra performance. But I would like to get away with a backbox only.. so post away people!

A back box will look good & change the note,but not your life performance wise sadly.
There's 2 cats,restrictive manifold & a pea shooter pipe before the back box slowing down the gases exit...
Free flowing exhaust is probably where your money is best spent for performance.
Decent back box is still a good start though...

Places round here will charge say £190 for a custom backbox and only an extra £50 for the rest of the pipework, so you might aswell change the manifold as Alien says and get a full system afterwards.

Yeah I guess so but for some one who doesn't have that much experience would it be ok to get a back box for now and then some time in the future get the rest of the exhust system fitted or do you have to get it as a job lot kind of thing if you go down that road.

To get the rest of the system made up afterwards will probably cost over £100, so it makes sense to do it the same time as doing the rear silencer, unless you buy off the shelf bits which should just unbolt and connect together.

ok so how much does a decent exhust system usually cost including the back box etc?

and whats the difference between just an exhaust tip and exhaust back box :S

The tip is what pokes out of the backbox.

Janspeed make replacement parts for the whole exhaust, but they are only mild steel.

One thing you could do is get a custom stainless cat back system made, then in the future think about replacing the manifold and down pipe.

The tip is what pokes out of the backbox.

Janspeed make replacement parts for the whole exhaust, but they are only mild steel.

One thing you could do is get a custom stainless cat back system made, then in the future think about replacing the manifold and down pipe.

Matt does both, carbon steel and stainless steel, but most opt for carbon steel due to price, (only a few people on here have full stainless systems).

To be honest it's not much of an issue since the OEM system is carbon steel anyway.

Tip makes back of car look good,it's cheap & takes 5 mins to fit.
Back box looks & sounds good,not cheap & you won't go faster.
Full system with manifold won't give much change from £500 but will give performance.
I've knocked the inards out of the manifold cat & bridged the cat under car so the only silencer is back box.You'll need I think primary cat for the MOT so think it through..
Get a back box fitted & take it from there...

a back box just looks better, but it doesnt make the car faster or sound any diffrent.

best thing to go for is a cat back 2'' mandrel bent stainless system.

All ive changed on mine is the backbox and it isnt loud at all until the cats have heated up which takes a while depending on how you are driving it.

Back