Another Rad Rallying Story

http://s681.beta.photobucket.com/user/reflexuk1/library/P342 NLX

So we found this ford on the Mid Derbyshire Motor Club 12 car rally last night, about 9.35pm. I dropped into 1st gear as we entered to keep the revs up but the engine stopped before we got too far, and not yet even half way across! I tried to restart it twice but the starter wouldn't turn it over. In the sudden silence Anthony said, 'Er, were leaking!' I replied, 'Quick, take your shoes off and but 'em on the back seat." Then we both had to get out and shove but we only managed a couple of metres. The water was knee deep, freezing cold and it was painfully stoney under foot . The car filled up, even the seats were wet. Reg arrived running last on the road and towed us out backwards. Still in socks we took the spark plugs out and turned the engine over as a precaution but no water seems to have gotten inside. Air filter and air box were wet though. Plugs back in and the engine started with a little misfire straight away. By this time Chris and Matt had turned up, they kindly sorted me out with a coffee mug to bale out with. It took a while to reload the car, remove socks dry feet and get shoes back on then reverse 100m back up the lane to turn around. It was about 10.45pm by this time so we set off to the finish but decided to go straight home because we were too cold and wet to do anything else. Got home at 11.30 car seems to run fine.
Thanks t everyone who helped us out, we honestly can't beleive 6 other cars passed this way!
Does it need anything now, an oil change for example?
20121122_215706.jpg

In my experience Micra don't like water (I've done the Preston twice in one!) dry it all out. An oil change won't hurt. But you may find it has damaged the throttle body, I know it did on ours..... Also check the dizzy doesn't have water trapped in it.

Hi Matt, on the way home I stopped at a junction and it was idling at 1800rpmbut it settled back to a more normal level when I got there. I presume the potental tb damage would be the maf sensor. I can jetwash the engine bay without it stopping the engine. I soaked the dizzy in wd40 before setting off last night and it didn't get dunked. I fitted its cover with a bead of silicone to help the rubber gasket. I think it's survived but it's worth a look, thanks.

Is there any likelihood the clutch would suffer or water get into the gearbox?

If you still have the sandwich plate between the box & the gearbox id hope you'd be pritty water tight.

Maybe worth popping the dizzy out for a look inside to double check :)

Back