An intermittent stutter

This a mild problem we've had for a month or two, but it might be getting more serious.

1993 1.3 LX auto (NCVT). Only 42k miles! Normally runs perfectly.

But every 10 to 20 miles it loses all power for half a second then picks up again with no problem. Of course you notice it more when accelerating, but it also happens at a steady speed. Today for the first time it did it twice in quick succession, the second time losing power for more than one second.

How can anyone start tracking down such an intermittent fault? Is it more likely to be on the fuel side or the ignition or somewhere in between? Any pointers gratefully received -- not only by me but by the local workshop I take it to for some of the servicing.

Many thanks,
Peter

I had the exact same problem, turned out my dizzy cap was hanging off. So start there, lol
Then check your throttle body as that may need soldering.

I thought it might help someone if finished this old thread!

We put up with the stuttering, until finally last month I took the car in to the workshop -- plus a good set of instructions I had found for getting at the throttle-body joints: http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/cg13de-throttle-body-resoldering-guide.pdf .

They decided to take the throttle body right off, but still had great difficulty removing the cover plate. A couple of the joints looked dodgy, but anyway they resoldered them all, and several hundred miles later I can say (tempting providence of course) there hasn't been a single stutter since.

Thanks for the pointer,
Peter

very nicely finished thread-and your problem also extiguished
i like it MORE MICRAS POUNDING THE STREETS and wen runin right they are a gem to drive and give other cars a run off for they moneese

Back