intermittent miss??

Hi all,

car is doing well... however from time to time it feels as if the engine cuts out or misses, it's like a cough but, at the same time i can hear a relay clicking near the fusebox (inside). I would say it happens more when it's cold (engine cold), not notices much when it's damp/wet as it's not been too bad recently.

I recently replaced the spark plugs, dizzy cap, and rotor arm. I would say the leads are ok and it could be an electronic fault.

I've done the fix for the corroding external fuse box terminals, i have yet to check the security of the cables against the fuse itself though, I would say it's ok, it starts fine and goes ok. I do feel recently the car is a little bit underpowered compared to usual.

I suspect 1 of 3 things, coilpack, throttle body, or fuel pump (relay noise?).

Has anyone had any experience or guesses about what could be going on? It's not completely cut out yet, or left me stranded, although 2 weeks ago it didn't start in the morning, AA man sprayed WD40 down the spark plug channels and over the leads, it then started fine, but i feel this problem and that could be related? i had to call him cos i drained the battery trying to turn her over in vain.

Thanks for reading.
Deian

ive got a similar problem but mine missfires if i stall it start it up itll misfire then if i turn it off strt it back up its fine lol

maybe we're onto something... cos that time when my car refused to start in the morning, i kinda quickly turned her over 3 times and missing it, then i tried properly and it never started, i thought it flooded (do modern cars flood), so i took the fuel pump fuse out and tried it till the battery went flat

but there is definitely a relay clicking near the fusebox when it misses/cuts, so it goes point to something electrical?

i may be barking up the wrong tree completely, maybe more info can be had off others?

thanks

Our Super S has similar issues. Every now and then it loses the radio, wipers, heater, wash pump and i'm sure theres more. I hear the relays click when you hit a pot hole and they all come back on. I've now narrowed it down to the contacts on the ignition barrel although i'm yet to look into it. Recently i was pulling away and when i was at around 3000 revs (mentioning revs isnt too important, just making the point the engine wasn't idling) the engine stopped dead. There were no ignition lights on, no indicators etc, temp gauge dropped to cold as if the key had been taken from the ignition. Again i suspect the contacts in the ignition barrel, although now in the IGN setting as well as the ACC position, or this time the ignition relay dropped out for some reason. I took the key out of the ignition and tried it again and the car fired straight up. Just wondering if your fault is something similar.

Guys i have wrote a post some time ago in this forum regardina a similar problem... I thought it was TB issues has it seems to be a cronical failure in micras. Now i have found out it is my ECU that is malfunctioning and is cutting the engine, so i say to you, it could be yours too. Check it.

Back