Amplifier outputs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Hi Guys,
I bought a Kenwood KAC-646X 4 Channel amp a while ago on the cheapand i was just looking through the spec...
I was planning to have it powering front and rear speakers but looking at the spec it seems i would be better using my 60w outputs on my headunit!
Can anyone correct me if i'm wrong?
KAC-646X.JPG

Headunit amps are crap, i'd always use an external amp if possible, even if the stated ratings are lower, it'll sound better!

moddedmicra

i think you will get a 50w "gain" per channel, so if your hu inputs 60w to the amp, you should get close to 110w out the amp (per channel)

So i would have to run from each channel on the head unit instead of just a preout?

Power wise the headunit is probably better
Quality wise the amp is probably better

moddedmicra

i think you will get a 50w "gain" per channel, so if your hu inputs 60w to the amp, you should get close to 110w out the amp (per channel)

Hmmm going back to my GCSE's I think it technically possible, but it will sound horrible. You will get the distortions of the HU and its amp being amplified again and on top of that you will get the distortions from the external amp, even though they are quite small.

I would defiantly go for the external amp, but it depends on whether you can be bothered to wire up an amp for only 25W RMS per channel.

25 watts is plenty, as long as you match the speakers. The sound quality will improve too so I say do it.

Completely missed this thread. Frank, that's unfortunately not the case (headunit amplification plus external amp).

I'd use the amp, but bridge the 4 channels down to 2 to power just your front speakers (giving them around 70wrms each), then power the rear speakers off of your headunit (around 20wrms per channel).

What headunit do you have? You'll want to plug some RCA cables into the preouts in the headunit, then connect these to the inputs of the amp.

If I'd seen this before Saturday then I would have talked to you about it on the day!

Yer i've got 2 rca cables coming from the headunit ready for the amps. Its the In-phast IPS920SD headunit with 60w outputs and 2 sets of preouts.

Yer ment to mention it on saturday but forgot :doh:

I have a 10cm set of those. They are not very good. I can imagine the 13's will be better mid, but they are certainly not tweeters. The high end on mine is quite bad.

I've got them in now and it sounds better with them tbh. Cheers for the help pete (Y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back