5V Line out to 4V Input??

jonnyfatman

Ex. Club Member
Just a quick question. My JVC Headunit states it has 5V line-outputs. Most of the amps I've been looking for only seem to accept 4V.

Is the 5V only reached at the headunit full volume, as in, can I leave it only turned up 3/4 volume and voltage is about 3.75V?
Or do I need to find an amp that'll accept 5V inputs?

Cheers in advance for anyone's help.

Jonny

Something like that.......however, I doubt the JVC will actually reach 5V, probably more like 3v.

My top of the range Pioneer unit states it has 6V lineout, when in fact, it doesnt reach much about 4V.....!

Remember, the volume on the headunit is not a linear scale. So say on volume 10 out of 40 its 1V, on volume 20/40 it might only be 1.5V....

Have a look at the FAQ forum on www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb to see how to set your gains with a multimeter :)

You need an osciliscope to set gains, I can't see how that can be done with a multimeter? Jonny dont worry too much about that, you just may need to turn the sensertivity down on the amp input, which in theory will give lower noise.

gains are voltage increasements. My Vibe Amp has a Gain from 0V to 25V to the SUB. You just adjust the Gain and it sets the output voltage to the sub. Move Voltage more the sub pumps out. Too much with too much Xover (hz wise) will make the bass distorted. :)

Umm not quite right...

An amp can deliever X power into X load. when driven at X input power. The aim is to match all the points in the chain to distort at the same time, so you get maximum dynamic range and minimum noise. Hz is nothing to do with this.

well how come i have gain set at half and i incresed the other dial which is for the Hz value i hear more of the music coming out the sub and when it hits the deep bass its distorted :s

because you filtered too much out of the sub, thus antennuating the input, when you increased this, the low frequencies are less filtered so effectivly the amp has more gain, that and other things will cause distortion.

What have you set the low pass at? It should be around 60-80hz and you need a decent lowpass filter like -24db/octive A subsonic filter of around 25hz is also a good idea, to keep things more efficient.

Ed said:
You need an osciliscope to set gains, I can't see how that can be done with a multimeter? Jonny dont worry too much about that, you just may need to turn the sensertivity down on the amp input, which in theory will give lower noise.

Ideally yes you do, but not everyone has access to an oscilloscope. It's better to set them up roughly with a multimeter, than just to guess them.....imo anyway! You can run a test tone through the headunit at 0dB level, then measure the voltage output from the headunit and setup the amp accordingly.

Otherwise, as said, just put the headunit on around 80% volume (to avoid any clipped signal from the headunit), have the gains on the amp turned to minimum and slowly turn them up until you hear the speaker/s distort, then just back them down a bit.

Back