Am I being taken for a mug or am I an idiot?

Use the head unit wire then. If you have aftermarket radio using standard ISO then the red wire comes on with ignition.
If you don't the you just need to find it with multimeter

I have standard tape deck at mo, but even that comes on with key in primed position. Want it only to come on on full ignition only, when engine is running...

mckenziecz said:

Thats just the way I want it... I sit in the car alot with ignition primed so I can listen to radio etc on my breaks in work or when I'm waiting outside the shops or whatever for me missus... Just don't want a big illuminated dial in me face, particularly at night...

Unless you open the unit, you probably wont be able to control the light independently (from light switch for example). But to have the unit only switch on when the key is in the on position (second click) as opposed to acc position (first click), easiest way is to splice into the ignition switch wire. White/Green according to haynes

Unless you open the unit, you probably wont be able to control the light independently (from light switch for example). But to have the unit only switch on when the key is in the on position (second click) as opposed to acc position (first click), easiest way is to splice into the ignition switch wire. White/Green according to haynes

I tried plugging into the ignition switch, green/white wire at ECU, port 12 I think, but it came on with key in first position...

Got it all figured out now, radio on one turn, dial on the next, ignition on the next... Sorted! I'll do that all when I get paid & am off... Solder it all up neat & tidy...

Is 700-800 RPM at idle reasonable or is it reading a little high?

Yes mine comes on when i turn the ignition on, then the back light dims on mine when my lights get turned on, i got the signal, positive, negative and the backlight connections all from the cluster plug, yours will be slightly differnt as you will need to get the signal from the dizzy and you may no thave the dimmer feature, but there is nothing stopping you hooking the positive to the positve on the cig lighter and get the ground from there too, thats how i wired up my old one and that worked a charm as the cig lighter on comes on when you turn the key...

dont expect 100% accuracy oddball

I don't... What I mean is is it within reason? Obv if it was reading like 2000 I'd know it's no good. Just couldn't remember what the actual idle speed is, whether it was 400-600 or 600-800... Either way, is 700 a decent enough read?

Yes mine comes on when i turn the ignition on, then the back light dims on mine when my lights get turned on, i got the signal, positive, negative and the backlight connections all from the cluster plug, yours will be slightly differnt as you will need to get the signal from the dizzy and you may no thave the dimmer feature, but there is nothing stopping you hooking the positive to the positve on the cig lighter and get the ground from there too, thats how i wired up my old one and that worked a charm as the cig lighter on comes on when you turn the key...

Nah, my cig lighter comes on straight away in first position, which I don't want from the gauge... Got it sorted now though cheers...

Back