Alternative places for rear speakers.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ive had a trial of my rear speaker/parcel tray out of the car and i really do like the extra space and it doesnt get in the way when carting around all my big music gear.

Anyone know of different places to put the rear speakers? I really do need the rear sound as its driving me nuts with just the front. :(

Suggestions?
Thanks!

cisco

» CMF Member
I was thinking of mounting a 6x9, one on either side of the car, kind of angled upwards and inwards to the front passengers, on custom MDF mounts.. basically near where the rear passenger armrests are but a bit lower..

But now that I have the rear cargo tray, I love its space and versatiliy, so I don't think I really take up some of the space with speaker pods..

Plus, the true audio philes strongly recommend just keeping front stage (i.e. splits etc) and just run a sub off an amp in the rear, rather than putting in rear speakers as such.. That's meant to sound the best.. But I'm really undecided as to which way I will go.

You got any other good ideas Toma?

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
On that note with a sub,
I was thinking getting a small sub, put it into a box facing forward and making it nice and plush ontop, sort of like a centre console for the back. Maybe even put a drink holder on it somehow.

But as for speakers, my only other idea is in the spare wheel cover, but make them sit flush with a grill over the top of em.
Ill dwell on it a little longer i spose.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
enhance your front sound stage and forget about the rear. IMO anyway.

install a compact subwoofer (alot of cars have compact subwoofers integrated into the rear false floor over the spare tyre, so mabye cruise ebay/wreckers there) to give you a bit of bass.

I'm running only a front sound stage, and I was happy with my standard 6 speakr setup with the A-pillar tweeters but without the rear fill the standard blaupaunks have very little bass response.

So i disconected the tweeters and ran new (sheilded) wiring from the HU to the doors and installed some Hertz DCX165's I bought on special, and they sounded great on the board. A little bit dull in the car but thats because the doors are shocking for bass response.

A bit of sound deadening and I'm 100% certain I will be completely happy with my budget, lightweight :p, zero crook-bait sound setup.

If you really need the rear fill for some reason, perhaps make custom pods utilising the standard parcel shelf mount things?

Cheers

CMF_milko46

» CMF Member
if you really want rears this may sound a little insane but im a car stereo fitter and have installed box speakers up high in the rear roof for heaps of customers with different cars giving them rear fill but staying out of the way at the same time. they have different sizes available from 4" to 4x6" and even slimline 6x9" boxes

Back