Installed some new speakers today...

smidge

» CMF Member
the pics might be of interest to anyone wanting to upgrade their speakers

the only really weird thing i encountered was that the speaker cut out hole appeared different on the passenger side so i had to create a new hole in the door to screw the speakers down firmly...

speakers used were clarion 6" splits, no bulky crossover box just simple passive stuff but sound great through a decent amp and only cost around $100 at the moment

about the best you can get before spending $300-ish on orions or high end pioneer

smidge

» CMF Member
stock door

Attachments

• 31122.jpg
    31122.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 41

smidge

» CMF Member
central locking setup for anyone interested, put this in the day after i got the car and has been working great since

Attachments

• 31124.jpg
    31124.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 34

smidge

» CMF Member
woofer, using the supplied spacer from the box to space it out from the door (fits perfectly)

Attachments

• 31125.jpg
    31125.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 32

smidge

» CMF Member
tweeter, fits well in the gap in the metal behind the door card and isn't too far from the woofer which can create weird phasing problems and hyped top end (which i can't stand)

Attachments

• 31126.jpg
    31126.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 35

smidge

» CMF Member
cut out the rear of the card to attatch the tweeter, and don't forget the brackets and sit the tweeter hard up against the card

Attachments

• 31128.jpg
    31128.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 32

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
wow yeh that looks sweet smidge! very proffesional.

i am VERY keen for central locking (it was funny to start off with how you can get into the drivers door without unlocking the passengers doors for your friends to make them wait. but its getting a bit old haha)

anyway. how hard is it?? you seem to be a very tallented person when it comes to electronics and DIY installs (eg aircon). it is worth the hassle? and also where did you buy the kit for. is it a micra specific and how much $$???

thanks, tris

smidge

» CMF Member
hey tris, its a jaycar kit, and it was the easiest car i've put central in so far, i wouldn't say that its simple, it took me a good 3 hours but i reckon i could knock it over in 1 now i've already done it

cost about $30 bucks i think, its somewhere between that and $60 and works really well

didn't take pics as i lasted a grand total of a DAY before i got the ****s with using the keys all the time! (plus 2 door installs are pretty straight forward)

definately no expert but am a sound tech/engineer by trade so i know my way around a soldering iron and basic DC electronics etc

pretty happy with the speakers, i also bought a bunch of sound deading tar stick on mat that i'll put in at some stage but i'm still chasing my tail with some phasing issues that i need to test out 100%, not sure if its just the cabin of the micra making my ears do weird things or if i've farked up the wiring somewhere along the line

either way these speakers are heeeeps better than the stockies

CMF_qwerty132

» CMF Member
Hey
I know its been a while since you installed this but I was wondering if you could post the model number of the clarion speakers..

EDIT: They wouldnt be clarion srs1626 would they?

Thanks
qwerty132

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
Sorry to drag up an old thread, and not quite on topic, but do the window winders just come off by pulling on them, or is there something else you need to do?

I had a go at taking them off when installing my newly painted door handles, but didn't want to break them by doing something wrong. \

Speaker install looks great too, I think I'll be doing that shortly when I get a new head unit.

Thanks!

CMF_EVLGTI

» CMF Member
You can really get needle nose pliers in there. You need a flat bit of metal with a u shape cut out, there is also a proper tool that you can get from Powerbuilt.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
...and if you see a micra at a self serve wreckers.. pocket a few ;) Worth it as they're a pain if you do lose them. Same with all the little unique clips and whatnot all around the car.. Damn scrivets.

---dens

Back