almera engine in micra?

it would be easier to say to the guy that almera engines do fit in micras and that you dont need to change the hubs to upgrade the brakes.

it would be easier to say to the guy that almera engines do fit in micras and that you dont need to change the hubs to upgrade the brakes.

thing is he will probably go on to ask things like, is there a guide to fitting a GA16 and do the brakes fit straight on etc,

it would be ok if it was a few times but it happens so often and the people who know have to repeat themselfs over and over again, it gets annoying.

but the main reason people don't want to reply is because this is something that if you have to ask then you shouldn't be doing it.

for example i am trying to fit skyline calipers to my front hubs, and to work out if they would fit i could have asked here but instead i went out to my car to have a look, and they didn't line up naturally but with a modified bracket they would fit perfectly. its took me two seconds to work that out.

and its the same with engine transplants, the GA16 engine transplant is stupidly easy, and all the info you need is in this forum somewhere, you just have to search, but if you can't take a GA16 engine and a micra and just see what needs doing by looking in the engine bay then you shouldn't be trying it.

your rite man, i suppose we all have questions, but a bit of research never hurt anyone, and you learn more stuff along the way which is always a bonus.(Y)

anyway coconuts if you go ahead good luck! :D

"it would be easier to say to the guy that almera engines do fit in micras and that you dont need to change the hubs to upgrade the brakes."

I agree mate... definately a more appropiate approach :)

well yeah obviously lol but if he got an sr20 and tried to put it in without knowing he would of wasted time and money

true but he wont become a proffesional engineer just by some forum posts. if he needs to ask then he shouldn't be trying it in the first place.

i have been a member of this site for so many years that i cant remember, and the number of people who just sign up to ask one question that has been covered a million times and then never posts again is stupid. if people searched first, and then when they really couldn't find anything they asked it would be all right, but people don't want to do any of the work themselfs.

everything i know about micras i have learnt, i have changed just about every part on my micra by working it out. it was alot of hard work and effort being covered in grease and skinning my knuckles, and i don't see why i should go through all that to spoon feed people who can't be assed.

Its like all the people who want to know something out of the haynes manual but don't want to go out and buy one.

Not everyone has the thirst for knowledge nor' the time/use to screw their car apart just to understand how the Ying exists with the Yang. Props' to you for doing so, you now have much more practical skill; however, people just want simple fixes for their simple problems with their simple Micra's. Thing is, with forums, a large percentage of members come and go. You do get members who stay for a very long time; such as yourself. Newer majority of members breeds topics which the old members have been through numerous times but it's still new/unseen by those who are new. You cannot expect new members to have all the information/experience you have, seeing as you've been here for an X amount of years. Perhaps your tolerance levels are a tad too low.

Arguments aside, it's all good.

Not everyone has the thirst for knowledge nor' the time/use to screw their car apart just to understand how the Ying exists with the Yang. Props' to you for doing so, you now have much more practical skill; however, people just want simple fixes for their simple problems with their simple Micra's. Thing is, with forums, a large percentage of members come and go. You do get members who stay for a very long time; such as yourself. Newer majority of members breeds topics which the old members have been through numerous times but it's still new/unseen by those who are new. You cannot expect new members to have all the information/experience you have, seeing as you've been here for an X amount of years. Perhaps your tolerance levels are a tad too low.

Arguments aside, it's all good.

fair enough mate, well thats what we have the FAQ section for, maybe it isn't as obvious as it should be, but it would solve half the problems people sign up just to cure.

but you have a point, this does only effect the older memebers who see it come up again and again.

and i am not having a go at anyone, i am very willing to answer peoples problems if they have done at least a little bit of searching, just to show some willing.

and i have made a lot of guides to answer the common questions like removing bump strips etc, tho i suppose non members cant see those.

meh, i dunno sometimes it just gets to me when people expect to be spoon fed.

these sort of threads tend to come like busses (none for a while then 2 or 3)
i think we need to delete all the old thread like this one so when people search eg. 1.6 conversion, 2.0 conversion
you wont get all the threads like this just thread that are worth something eg batchs blog, kristian blog, my blog

i will happly help anyone that runs in to problems with a conversion but im not going tell them how to do it from start to finish

before i started doing the 1.6 conversion i spent 2+ week of searching the MSC + AOC

the info is out there, so aslong as you got the skill+money your sorted

its all trial and error

TONEY

these sort of threads tend to come like busses (none for a while then 2 or 3)
i think we need to delete all the old thread like this one so when people search eg. 1.6 conversion, 2.0 conversion
you wont get all the threads like this just thread that are worth something eg batchs blog, kristian blog, my blog

i will happly help anyone that runs in to problems with a conversion but im not going tell them how to do it from start to finish

before i started doing the 1.6 conversion i spent 2+ week of searching the MSC + AOC

the info is out there so as long as you got the skill your sorted

its all trial and error

TONEY

very true mate, we could really do with a filter of all the empty threads so that just the important info is there. tho again thats what the FAQ is supposed to be.

i want to give a GA convertion a go with a bit more cash, and when i do i will do a full on guide. but yea the info is out there and if you have even basic skills with mecanics then its easily doable.

the only way to stop this is for somebody who has done it to make a full guide and for it to be stickied, half of the fun is the research imo, but it would make for less of these posts

I thought the GA16 effectively bolted straight to a CG13 gearbox...?

Plus a *litlle* else, obviously

this is why the 1st poster,s vague questions can,t really be answered :suspect:, there are various almera engine types, and the GA can be fitted in different ways (ie, dont cut-n-shut the shafts, but cut into the chassis, or visa-versa)

why cant a thread be made stating all things that can be done with or without modification?? anything missed other people add on and so on...

why cant a thread be made stating all things that can be done with or without modification?? anything missed other people add on and so on...

that was the idea of the FAQ section, it was in the main general part of the forum and was for people to update with useful info like mods and common faults etc,

it didn't have any chat in it and was only posted with proven facts and no hear say.

Would a CG13 box cope with the GA16 power?

yes it would cope eg. james run 200bhp on standard gearbox
but it wont solve the problems about shafts
i know 2 people runing ga engine on a cg box and they still have to make shafts up

why are different shafts needed if your still using the original box? Does it mount slightly different or something?

Attachments

• Picture010chassis cut.jpg
    Picture010chassis cut.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 329
the only way to stop this is for somebody who has done it to make a full guide and for it to be stickied, half of the fun is the research imo, but it would make for less of these posts

Is that not the whole point of the 'sign up to see more areas' idea?

Mods, can this be tidied up as it has gone more than off topic?

but if the chassis is cut into and the cg box left in the original position, standard cg shafts would work?

And Craig, It's not that off topic!

good luck with the job :)

i can confirm from experience so far, it's no fun haha!

but good luck Nex

thanks mate!

but if the chassis is cut into and the cg box left in the original position, standard cg shafts would work?

And Craig, It's not that off topic!

if you are sticking with the CG box then i would seriously start looking at stiffer bushes and electric water pumps. its not the best idea to be cutting your chassis if you can avoid it. but if you are going to cut it then get counter sunk bolts for the water pump at least.

thanks mate!

if you are sticking with the CG box then i would seriously start looking at stiffer bushes and electric water pumps. its not the best idea to be cutting your chassis if you can avoid it. but if you are going to cut it then get counter sunk bolts for the water pump at least.

i still think its not possable

when i get a chance i measure the ga, cg and the sr

the use of the cg box has been touched upon many times, only to be faltered by the starter being on the wrong side and also the bhp capacities of the cg box, im sure the cg13 gbox can only cope with 100bhp but im not 100%, its just as easy to use the ga16 box on a ga16 conversion, i used the drivers side engine mount, a slight mod to the passenegr side mount and used the rear gbox mount, all i did was tactfully "bash" the drivers side chassis leg in to make room for the crank pulley, i used cg shafts(strengthened) with ga16 inner cv joints and obviously the normal outer cvs

If the chassis rail is cut, what could be done to re-strengthen it? Surely a bit of welding and goos-as-new? (ish..)

i might do this again and put together a step by step guide with pictures, then put it into a booklet type format and sell it on ebay lol, ile make my 1st million yet ha and everyone will be running ga16 micras

i still think its not possable

when i get a chance i measure the ga, cg and the sr

the CG fits, Ollie did a test run with my engine and his box, but the starter motor hole has to be plated off, cos obviously its on the other side

If the chassis rail is cut, what could be done to re-strengthen it? Surely a bit of welding and goos-as-new? (ish..)

no need to cut it tho, you can buy electric pumps for like £60 meaning you can still put the old engine in fine,

So the CG box could be used with the GA engine if an electric water pump is used? So nothing would need to be cut, just a couple of engine mounts making?

So the CG box could be used with the GA engine if an electric water pump is used? So nothing would need to be cut, just a couple of engine mounts making?

in theory yea, but i am still not sure about the starter. i think that the CG starter is on the engine and the GA is on the box. so using a CG box would mean you would have to mount the starter on the GA engine. there is space for it, but i am not sure about mounting it.

really someone needs to get the engine and some boxes and some starters and have a play... tho i do have both boxes, i might get an engine at some point....

i've been having a look on cisco's and they say about blanking the starter on the cg, but couldnt find anything about the mounting it on the other side! I didn't search majorly deep though..

Then, would the CG box be the best idea anyway? The GA engine has a fair bit more torque doesn't it? I suppose if Nis can run 200+bhp through it (not sure what sort of torque?) it should be alright?

right dudes thanks for the big long convo of abuse lol. eh just thought a should ask before a start rippin the car apart n realise need special engine mounts or brackets. but cheers lads :grinning:

i've been having a look on cisco's and they say about blanking the starter on the cg, but couldnt find anything about the mounting it on the other side! I didn't search majorly deep though..

Then, would the CG box be the best idea anyway? The GA engine has a fair bit more torque doesn't it? I suppose if Nis can run 200+bhp through it (not sure what sort of torque?) it should be alright?

yea its all about torque, the GA is heavier and only has 102bhp but its a bigger displacement which is what its all about really.

the CG box will probably work, i mean they take ALOT of punishment, but obviously the GA box would me more ideal, its just then you start having to look into custom drive shafts, gear linkage, and mounts.... but its not as bad as it sounds

right dudes thanks for the big long convo of abuse lol. eh just thought a should ask before a start rippin the car apart n realise need special engine mounts or brackets. but cheers lads :grinning:

you will need to be able to customise things, if you don't have a grinder or a welder then don't bother.. you need to be experianced with working with cars in general before you start modifying them. remember they are not toys, a member on here had his gearbox fall out on the motorway because of a dodgy mount that was put in, so you need to be confident in your skills. if you have any doubts then don't start the project.

For more of a DIY job, cg box with an electric water pump is seeming much easier!

It's mostly the driveshafts putting me off using a GA box.

For more of a DIY job, cg box with an electric water pump is seeming much easier!

It's mostly the driveshafts putting me off using a GA box.

well in theory you could mount the box so that the original GA drive shafts line up. or use CG driveshafts and just put the GA CVs on the end. or you can have custom shafts made up... there is plenty of options.

Back