Airbag question

My girl was in a big bang before I bought her, consequently the airbag light has always been on, never bothered me until they changed the mot ruling on the light. She will go through with the light covered no problem, did last year, and will this year, time to sort it now after two years or so.
I have changed the pre-tensioner already, now for the airbag, my question is. what parts do I need? I've been rooting around on ebay, there's loads of them, from airbag controllers, squibs (whatever they are) complete units and so on - what do I need??????
Also, how does the airbag come off???? I've had a go pulling it, gently, does not seem to want to move ... pull harder???
Do I need a bag from a 1.4? or will any do???? they all look the same. When fitting, is there a sequence??? or will I blow my head off :eek: if wired up incorrectly????
I suppose I should really just say - how do I do it - safely!!!!

I got the one off my almera ok... just disconnect battery and wait like 20mins in case there are any capacitors or what have you... took a fair bit to actually set it off!

An airbag is just like any other part, held in by clips/bolts, hidden behind plastic/lining. Just disconnect the battery before doing it and make sure there is no electricity in any circuits. Once you've removed the bolts and any electrical connections you should be able to remove it. Replacing is just reverse order. But i know on modern cars that the airbag light can only be removed by resetting the airbag. I don't know if this applies to Micra's too. o_O

The airbag on mine has already been discharged through the bang she had, all the wires are disconnected anyway. I have a Haynes around somewhere .... I'll see if I can dig it out.

I got the one off my almera ok... just disconnect battery and wait like 20mins in case there are any capacitors or what have you... took a fair bit to actually set it off!
You've blown one????

The airbag on mine has already been discharged through the bang she had, all the wires are disconnected anyway. I have a Haynes around somewhere .... I'll see if I can dig it out.
Anybody on here changed one?

You've blown one????

It's the obligatory thing to do when you've removed a live one.... Even better if you get someone to sit on it then set it off :)

there should be some square plastic covers on the side davy, and some torx screws behind, and i,ve never bothered disconnecting the battery personally :)

Anybody on here changed one?

You've blown one????
Yeah, hooked up to an extention lead then used a car battery and jumper cables. Tried to flip a series 3 landrover chassis on its side, wasn't very spectacular...

Back