aftermarket steering wheel/airbag+light

hi guys I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket steering wheel but it will be without an airbag and i want to know if it will pass the mot if i disconnect the warning light/take out the bulb and will it still pass the mot after the new mot rules come in to effect in 2012

cheers

It shouldn't do, I think the MOT centre just put it down as an advisory that you have an aftermarket steering wheel.

a face full of steering wheel is a big fail tho fwn i cant believe anyone would contemplate removing an airbag (maybe thats just me ?)

a face full of steering wheel is a big fail tho fwn i cant believe anyone would contemplate removing an airbag (maybe thats just me ?)

airbags are not actually safer, the were invented to get cars through the euro Ncap safety test, if you are sitting perfectly in the seat and don't tense up they work beautifully, but for example if you have your head turned looking left at the round about and you are leaning forward over the steering wheel and someone hits you from behind (very common) the airbag will push your head round and break your neck.

basically if you are a car maker, you sell more cars if your car is safe, your car is considered safe if it gets a good result from the safety test so all you have to do is protect the crash dummies, crash dummies never apply the brake so they are never thrown forwards over the airbags before the impact.

airbags are not actually safer, the were invented to get cars through the euro Ncap safety test, if you are sitting perfectly in the seat and don't tense up they work beautifully, but for example if you have your head turned looking left at the round about and you are leaning forward over the steering wheel and someone hits you from behind (very common) the airbag will push your head round and break your neck.

basically if you are a car maker, you sell more cars if your car is safe, your car is considered safe if it gets a good result from the safety test so all you have to do is protect the crash dummies, crash dummies never apply the brake so they are never thrown forwards over the airbags before the impact.

that argument has been done to death nex fwn you will never convince me that airbags dont save lives

that argument has been done to death nex fwn you will never convince me that airbags dont save lives

oh don't get me wrong there are some instances when they play there part, i am not sure about saving lives but preventing spinal injury etc for sure,

but i am sure you can imagine a situation when someone has their head very close to the steering wheel (i have seen a lot of people drive like that) or people who put their feet on the dash (my gf puts her feet on the passenger air bag and i stop driving until she sits properly) if the airbags were to go off they could do some serious damage, i have messed about with the insides of a few airbags and they are stupidly powerful, if you were in the wrong place when they went off they could easily take your head off.

where as self tightening seatbelts like i have in the cabriolet are great, they pull the driver into the proper position before the crash, thats a very good idea.

The bulb isn't removeable its part of the circuit board which is annoying, i just ended up poking the glass out of mine.

Back