which steering wheel?

I was just wondering, what is a good aftermarket steering wheel (something like the momo looking ones) that will fit a facelift k11 that has an airbag?

Is it even possible to buy a steering wheel that will allow me to retain the airbag?

oh, and whenever I see a thread in the buy & sell forum where someone is selling a used steering wheel they all talk of having the correct Boss. What exactly is this, and what does it do?

I was just wondering, what is a good aftermarket steering wheel (something like the momo looking ones) that will fit a facelift k11 that has an airbag?

It's all down to personal preference which steering wheel you get

Is it even possible to buy a steering wheel that will allow me to retain the airbag?

Not that I know of but I've never looked

oh, and whenever I see a thread in the buy & sell forum where someone is selling a used steering wheel they all talk of having the correct Boss. What exactly is this, and what does it do?

A boss is what is used to attach your aftermarket wheel to your steering rack

you must get a boss kit to fit an aftermarket steering wheel. in case you are stuck, a friend of mine is selling one.
it's easy enough to fit it. I've done mine myself and if you need help ask, I'll try to explain as good as I can.

Momo, Omp and nardi are all quality steering wheels but expensive, mountney m wheels are ok and a lot cheaper, you will need a boss kit to attach the steering wheel to your column, all the wheels mentioned fit to the same style boss which is the six bolt type, do not buy the cheap chinese copies on ebay as they are very poor quality see link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxB4RpCDzA

i'd only consider an afermarket steering wheel if it allowed me to retain my airbag, and i've tried to look around for one that will but can't seem to find any. Anyone have a difinitive answer if there is a wheel that will let me keep my airbag?

i've seen some momo wheels that do have airbag fittings, but they seemed to be aimed at specfic models of cars. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough lol :D

peposhi, i might get back to you regarding the boss, if i can find a wheel (Y)

i'd only consider an afermarket steering wheel if it allowed me to retain my airbag, and i've tried to look around for one that will but can't seem to find any. Anyone have a difinitive answer if there is a wheel that will let me keep my airbag?

i've seen some momo wheels that do have airbag fittings, but they seemed to be aimed at specfic models of cars. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough lol :D

peposhi, i might get back to you regarding the boss, if i can find a wheel (Y)

a member who values the airbag at last (Y)
mine has a leather mera gti one fitted, which retains functioning airbag, horn and indicator cancelling, and is a tad smaller :)

mine has a leather mera gti one fitted, which retains functioning airbag, horn and indicator cancelling, and is a tad smaller :)

I would value airbags but seeing as all of the cars I've had have been over 10 years old the airbags in them are kind of redundant :down:

well, the way I see it, I bought my k11 with a working airbag, so i'd kind of want to keep it. might even save a life one day!

I'll presume you meant almera gti? I didn't know they even came in leather...hmm, that might be the way to go. Did you fit the wheel yourself or did your micra come with it? Oh, and what model almera should i focus my attention on?

standard fitment to almera gti,s i believe, and 5 minute job (and i did,nt disconnect the battery or fuse or any of that b-locks :) )
just dont forget to centre the spool :eek:

standard fitment to almera gti,s i believe, and 5 minute job (and i did,nt disconnect the battery or fuse or any of that b-locks :) )
just dont forget to centre the spool :eek:

should i look for an almera gti wheel from a model similar in age as my k11 or can I look at newer models? I'm thinking around the 2000 - 2002 model range.

I kept the standard steering wheel in my 51 plate micra so i could keep the airbag, on the other hand my MX5 doesn't have an airbag and i must admit i don't really think about it, an Almera one could be the answer, also check some late Micras they may have better wheels, somewhere in the back of my memory i seem to recall someone possibly Momo had aftermarket airbag wheels but i've not seen any for sale, it could have been a prototype, and they were serious money.

while i've created a thread about steering wheels, is there any driving improvement having a smaller (sports style) steering wheel fitted or is that solely an aesthetics thing?

Back