Adding FM head unit to K10

T

Tesla

The K10 has a factory fit head unit and one factory fit speaker in passenger footwell.

No cassette (when this thing was invented i doubt cassettes were, lol) just MW and LW radio.

Now I want to add a CD head unit and as i dont want to chop up the door cards I think I will make up my own parcel shelf and mount some 6*9 in it. I realise that this is not the best set up avaliable but currently I cannot think of anything better.

The K10 often gets used to take stuff to the local tip so the back seats down and the shelf out. So i need something that will allow be to connect and disconnect the speakers easily. Bullet connectors?

Also will I need an FM aerial?

Oh wiring, speaker cable i reckon i could route just under the carpet. The K10 interior seems to come apart quite easily. How about to the HU? I dont think there is a constant 12v although, the current nissan HU does have a memory for preset stations???

I get enough advice from you guys then when im fitting it ill take loads of pics so I can knock up some sort of guide for future reference. How does that sound? Deal?

So advise away!

Chris

Right i'l try and help, hopefully wont have missed anything off:

First of all, your aerial is fine. It will pick up FM, AM, etc etc

Nothing wrong with taking the door cards off. With some models, a door speaker was fitted into the doors as standard.

I hate bullet connectors, instead i use a chocolate box to join cables together

Also you can run cables under the carpet easily. Remove the plastic seal around the lower half of the door, and pull the carpet away.. the cables will fit snug under neath.

Finally, if you put the seats down alot, then put an amp under the passenger or drivers seat (if u wish to use an amp), then wire that to the shelf.. you can always remove the shelf and lower the seats, and nothing will get damaged or in the way

I have had one of the door cards off before and know that speaker mounts are behind them.

I'm not too keen on cutting holes out of the door cards as when i come to sale the car I dont really want to leave all the kit in there. What would you reccomend about this? How big are the door mounts? Anybody know off hand?

Whats a chocolate box? I'm an ICE noob!

Another alternative is to remove your door cards and get another set from a better model in a scrappy. When you come to sell the car, just fit the ones you've currently got.. problem solved

Thats a good idea.

I mean to go to breakers this week, just wanna find out about a few good ones in bristol.

By chocie box you mean terminal blocks?

If the shelf needs to be quickly removed it will take ages to unscrew the cables and then as long putting them back in again wont it? Also keep doing that will damage the cable wont it?

Its only 4 screws which have to be slightly loosened, not totally removed. The cable wont get damaged either

also chocolate blocks are terminal blocks yeah, just two names for the same thing. I had bullet clips in mine and every time i kept to disjoin them, the entire clip would come off the cable instead of the M/F coming apart.. really winded me up.. chocolate box, problem solved!

Tesla did you get this sorted?
imo i wouldn't use choc block if you are going to be taking the speaks out often, your best bet would be bullet connectors (sorry Arnold) if you have a crimp tool, cuz then it's a simple job for removal / refitting with no need for a screwdriver. Many of my friends take out their parcel shelves with 6x9s on them. I didn't put mine on my shelf cuz i didn't want to risk them being nicked, so i built wooden box-type-things and put them in the boot on either side. It's just a bit of plywood cut to size and shape to fit between the suspension turret and the edge of the boot (oh and carpeted). I'd put a photo up here but i don't know how :(

Didn't do this in the end as i'm getting my own car at the moment.
The Micra is Mum's car.

MagicJoel said:
Tesla did you get this sorted?
imo i wouldn't use choc block if you are going to be taking the speaks out often, your best bet would be bullet connectors (sorry Arnold) if you have a crimp tool, cuz then it's a simple job for removal / refitting with no need for a screwdriver. Many of my friends take out their parcel shelves with 6x9s on them. I didn't put mine on my shelf cuz i didn't want to risk them being nicked, so i built wooden box-type-things and put them in the boot on either side. It's just a bit of plywood cut to size and shape to fit between the suspension turret and the edge of the boot (oh and carpeted). I'd put a photo up here but i don't know how :(

lol, its down to personal preference. I thought bullets were crap as you go to disconnect them, and the Male and Female would come off the cable together, and your just left with a naked speaker cable. (yes they are crimped, but maybe the cable im using isnt thick enough) I got through a whole box of them because of this! As for choc block, you can add and remove them all in less than a minute... but again, its personal preference.

There are different bullet connectors, for different cable sizes. They come in 3 colours, but they all plug into each other. Red are for wee cables, blue are for slightly larger and yellow are for bigger still cables. I found that sometimes even the reds were too big, but to remedy the situuation I would just strip off extra outer, and fold it back on itself, that usually does the trick.

I find that after a while chocolate blocks shred the wire inside (I use them where I'm not going to need to take them off...) My back speakers have spade connectors so I just crimped them onto the end of the speaker wire & they've been on and off loads with no problems. Could be you've not crimped them down fully, I used to get this before I aquired a ratchett crimping tool :)

hi mate ive done this with my k10. What I done was mounted 10cm speakers in the doors. For the 6x9's I basically bolted 18mm mdf to the original parcel shelf, marked then cut the holes for the speakers then sprayed the underneath of the shelf black & finally fabricated it with cloth which is available at most car shops (motorworld, halfords), for the connector I got mine from motorworld for about £3 (I think there called block connectors (usually black). For you headunit I had to run mine straight off the battery & Ive had no probs, for cabeling take the wire from the back of the head unit under the carpet in front of the passenger towards the side of the car, then take off the panel behind the passenger (remember to remove the screw under the passengers seatbelt first), take the cable under this panel then out to the boot, than put one half of the block connector onto the wires that you've just pulled through. Need any more help or pics of how I done mine either PM me or email me at:- [email protected]

Back