a somewhat silly question

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I noticed my passenger side front caliper is somewhat binding:(.

Now the question is what type of grease/lubricant do I need to used on the pins and caliper piston?
How to lubricate the rear brake shoes without touching the face of them? I mean the touching points

Regards

it may not be the guide pins hakim, the last 2 sticking calipers i fixed had rust on the ring arrowed :)

84051.jpg

P6140044.JPG

Thanks frank,

Will I be able to do it?

Regards
you,ve done alright so far mate ;)
i pumped the piston out with the pedal and then clamped the flexi hose with molegrips (gently)
then scraped the rust off with a stanley knife
the piston then moved in and out freely :)
that ring is the same dia as the cylinder, so any rust will seize the piston (and it does,nt have the fluid there to keep it rust free)

you,ve done alright so far mate ;)
i pumped the piston out with the pedal and then clamped the flexi hose with molegrips (gently)
then scraped the rust off with a stanley knife
the piston then moved in and out freely :)
that ring is the same dia as the cylinder, so any rust will seize the piston (and it does,nt have the fluid there to keep it rust free)
Many thanks frank,

Let me recap the process:

1. Press the piddle to move the piston out.
2. Clamp the the hose to stop the fluid dripping away.
3. Use a knife to remove the rust.

The question is by pressing the peddle will everything come out including the covering tube?

Regards

yes mate (pedal btw :D)
the rubber boot is held in by the piston, so you have to fit that before the piston (a tad awkward, but doable)
then release the clamp and open the nipple till the fluid trickles out (usually no need to actually bleed it)

the rubber boot is held in by the piston, so you have to fit that before the piston (a tad awkward, but doable)
then release the clamp and open the nipple till the fluid trickles out (usually no need to actually bleed it)
Many thanks frank,

I will try if stack will be counting on your as ever.

Regatds

collecting them up?
Burt is doing the bandit run,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
images
Lol,

Sort of.

Burt is the written off which is coming back on the road. Bought the other one in an emergency before the fate of Burt was desired. Now it is broken can not sold off. :(

Regards

why trailing arms?
Well, the panhard rod was broken and noticed that the axle is corroded too. Bought the ABS axle but unfortunately without the trailing arm. While putting axle on, noticed the bolt was seized. After using a little force the bush gave way. Now got spare axle with no trailing arm and the trailing arm on the existing axle is not use able. Declared SORN waiting for trailing arm or bush.

Regards

Hi Frank,

Couple of more questions please:

1. How to replace the CV boot? (The Haynes manual way is really difficult. I have seen some one did very easy)
2. How to remove the side strips/bumps? Will the paint be damaged by removing them?

Regards

thats a 1/2" drive one yeh, but you will bust a ratchet on a driveshaft nut tho (2 foot breakerbar needed :))
and some shaftnuts are 32mm btw !

chrome vanadium , or else a cheap 3/4 drive
Thanks frank,

Do the breaker bar come in chrome vanadium as well?
What id the difference of 1/2" and 3/4 driver?

Regards

Edit:After reading the description the Sealey 600mm one is chrome vanadium and Am-Tech is hardened still.
I think I got the difference for the 1/2" and 3//3 as well! the first one weaker then the 2nd one right?

Regards

177nm is near the limit of 1/2" drive kit hakim, but a chrome vanadium breaker bar "should" survive.
i use 3/4" drive sockets and a 3/4" breaker bar for that sort of heavy duty stuff :)

177nm is near the limit of 1/2" drive kit hakim, but a chrome vanadium breaker bar "should" survive.
i use 3/4" drive sockets and a 3/4" breaker bar for that sort of heavy duty stuff :)
Very many thanks frank,

After reading the description of the sealey 600mm breaker bar it was some what clear but to the extent you have explained.

Regards

couple of C/V threads here hakim :) http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=59094
and if the paint is original you can just pull them off
Hi Frank,

Got this tool set and arrived yesterday. The hub nut was not a 30mm but a 27mm and used the sliding bar in the tool set to open it open really easily. But the other two bolts were a bit harder.

Tried to removed the drive shaft but stack. Here is the video. And here the 2nd video.

Do I have to remove the caliper as well?
There is some other thing underneath as well. When I pull it is moving from the gear box!

Please help

Regards

aye c/v,s are a very messy job mate :)
Thanks frank,

Yest it is quite messy. But what I have noticed is that the big end of the cv boot near the hub, outside of the clips that is holding the boot tight, is quite greasy. Here is the video after quite a bit of cleaning.

I will complete the job tomorrow if its not raining. It seems that I have to struggle removing the CV joint.

Is it necessary to hit it with mallet? or there is an easy way to removed it?

Regards

Back