A question for cisco

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
I was ready throught the history of blue monster & read that you used to run 11-12 psi. What was the set up you were using for this. ie turbo, management (5th injector or full mangement).

cisco

» CMF Member
Hi Snoopy.

The car always had a microtech fully programmable ECU.

Yeah, when I bought the car, it was running about 11.5psi.
Through a T25, Microtech, really dodgy turbo manifold, really dodgy bad flowing dump pipe, still had my same nice custom inlet plenum, intercooler that evade has now. But with original fuel pump still in place and had those 370cc/min injectors. With all that it made 98kw@wheels but running dangerously lean at high RPM.

Still when I first got the car, felt like it just went like the clappers, so damn fast, now that's almost the car almost makes that much power on the low boost switch.

cisco

» CMF Member
That setup was also the one in the Multimedia section video doing a 6.9sec 0-100kmh time with 2 people in the car and really bad skimpy tyres on steelies.

Deleted User

» CMF Member
hey be nice iv got that manifold but the dump is pretty **** but cisco did the car have a 124kw or similer run by the prev owner

p.s are u sure that it was a factory pump because it look the same as a r33 pump just different filter but easy to change

cisco

» CMF Member
Hmm weird.

Have you got those parts hooked up and working on your car blake? They were sold for cheap, not dodgy how they were made in terms of quality, just the flow especially of the dump pipe was not ideal. But from what I read in the turbocharging book on the home page, they reckon manifold design doesn't make all that noticable difference in practice.

Yeah the original owner claimed that it made 120kw on the Croydon's dyno. But I wonder if they worked out that as a flywheel figure after it made 98kw@wheels. Not sure. It certainly was fast and nice to drive though.

Not sure Jake pulled my fuel pump out and said it was the factory one, the car had 370cc/min injectors and they just couldn't supply enough fuel until he replaced the pump with a 550hp walbro.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Its interesting to note that I'm still running the factory fuel pump with 370cc injectors and have no fuel delivery problems..and that was when tuning to 10psi.

Prob be a bit diff after that say up to 12psi or something

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah it was still feeling fast etc, just a bit lean.
It was running 11.5psi, so I think you would be not all that far away from maxxing out the factory pump.

cisco

» CMF Member
How's this for funny and annoying also..

After I ran arouns sourcing these crazy 440cc injectors because the last tuner told me to, the new (better) tuner said that something like 370cc would be perfect and allow a better tuned idle. Bahaha. But at least I got the better new rail, I'll need to get a top feed style to fit this motec rail.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Hmm maybe 100kw but as aaron said you need ignition, fuel/air to be spot on.
Reckon you would be on the limit and would be concerned about durability.
I have a mental cut off point of around 90kw but this is based on Hack which has proved very durable at 87kw. on stock internals apart from lightweight flywheel.

Deleted User

» CMF Member
the point of a fuel pump running out of flow is also based on its condition like in my silver micra with just basic mods(extracters,zorst,pod,filter and lots of timing) was runnig too lean on the dyno but it also had 169000km and was an ex-rental so it was prob just ****ed.i also got a r33 gtst pump for $20 when i worked at sub zero plus a malpassi fuel reg and it made such a difference

also cisco i havnt put the manifold on(its kickn back under my parents house) as i changed cars i cant use the manifold with a/c. and when i got it off u years ago u said it had a crack but i got it tested and they said it was sweet

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
yeah, 100+ kw might be staining things, I'll aim 90kw standard internals and save up for some forgies in a year to two... just getting all the gear and get it working, family hack style might be the way to go for now......

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Wise move Fred. I think around 90kw on standard internals will give you reliability plus a pretty quick Micra!!
After that well strengthen the internals.
Just make sure you pay plenty of attention to air/fuel ratio.

cisco

» CMF Member
For sure, I reckon about 90kw@wheels is a pretty good recipe proven by a few cars around here. Family hack and others been running reliably for a very long time. Family hack also been running only 95RON fuel and no problems whatsoever.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
NO PROBLEMS, I think i will modify a fuel rail and injectors from a sr20de motor (325cc/min) and that should cover me both ways, or the 370cc injectors cheaper/easier to get? but worried about idle problems with the 370cc/min

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
With the starlet turbos running 100kw at the motor,the micra with 90kw at the wheels is still better performance and would probably be able to cut a 14 second pass.Not bad considering you can throw a turbo kit together pretty cheap these days.

Back