A general update on the rally-style Micra

Been ages since I've been on the forum, but i'm back just with a general update as to how the Micra is coming along and to offer my help to anyone looking to do similar modifications to their car. Thus far I have:
-Fitted a new exhaust and backbox
-Removed the catalytic converter for a straight-pipe
-Fitted a Pipercross induction kit
-Wired-in a start button and ignition killswitch
-Wired-in blue neon lights for the footwells
-Fitted a new stereo
-Fitted two Sparco Pro 2000 bucket seats
-Fitted racing harnesses
-Custom-built and fitted a harness-bar
-Fitted mudflaps
-Replaced the rims and wheels for TeamDynamics rims with Dunlop fast-response tyres
-Fitted a custom bodykit consisting of a spoiler, side-skirts, bonnet vents, modified front bumper and modified rear bumper
-Custom-built and fitted a sump guard
-Fitted brake-cooling ducts
-Fitted fog lights
-Fitted an oil catch-can
-Flocked dashboard
-Fitted sun-strip/visor
-Carbon-film wrapped stereo unit and fuel filler cap
-Fitted EBC greenstuff brake pads
-Painted and detailed brake calipers
-Fuel pressure gauge and coolant temperature gauge fitted

In the near future now that I have time-off university I shall be looking at:
-Fitting bigger brake calipers
-Wiring-in an ABS killswitch
-Fitting a roof scoop
-Installing the performance suspension kit I have sat in my shed

Pics to come .... ;)

Last edited:
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
1.jpg

Just changed the exhaust on my Micra as the current setup with a Greggson exhaust meant that instead of the exhaust gasses going straight out through where the backbox would be, they came back through the backbox through another pipe in the same direction as the exhaust inlet, then did a u-turn to come out of the muffler which was placed at the center of the rear bumper. Obviously this meant that the exhaust has further to travel, so I took apart the old exhaust and with some modifications and LOTS of exhaust clamps I fitted a new 3-inch muffler which exits where the original backbox did. It's holding up so far so fingers crossed that more modifications aren't needed to hold it in place, but the sound is very deep and sporty and pops and crackles when downshifting :D video to come ....

The roof scoop has been sanded down so that it fits flush with the roof and has been primed and painted in black (of course). After picking out slivers of fiberglass from my hands for hours, I cleaned up the sides that will be mounted to the roof of the car and am now waiting for a dry day to mount it.

Exhaust has a leak in the mid-section so I've bought some Holt's gun gum exhaust paste to repair it so hopefully that will work out, and the ABS killswitch need only be wired to the switch panel and it's all done! I modified the fuse that powers the EPS and ABS so that a power wire runs from the EPS positive terminal and can then be re-routed to a switch and then back to the ABS negative terminal. Getting through the firewall is proving to be difficult however ....

I've decided the set the bar high for myself and am buying myself a ticket for a track day at my local track in a couple weeks. I've looked at the list of mods that are unfinished and have all of the necessary parts for these mods in the mail. Having fitted the new exhaust and painted and fitted the roof scoop, I have in the mail:
-Braided brake lines
-Fuel pressure and coolant temperature t-pieces for the gauges and assorted fitment pieces
-Metal protection paint for my sump guard

In preparation for the track day I have the following tasks to complete:
-Fix the sun strip
-Stop the car mats from sliding under the clutch pedal whilst driving
-Install the suspension kit
-Finish the gauges and ABS killswitch
-Get the wheels balanced, rotors tested and suspension bushes checked (wheels wobble at 100+mph :eek: )
-Fit braided brake lines to improve pedal feel
-Tighten-up and check the bolts on the harness bar
-Fix the brake cooling ducts and make sure they're fully functioning

After this track day I hope to be able to assess how the car handles at high speeds and see how well it brakes so I can consider upgrading the brake calipers and rotors and also fitting strut braces to the car. Not only this, but it'll be fun to throw the car around a track and get to have a proper play in the Micra ;)

In the time since my last update, I have fitted the finished roof scoop, given the logos on the wheels a lick of white paint, finished the ABS killswitch and coolant temperature gauge (both of which work a treat!) and am getting the wheels balanced and the run-out on the rotors checked tomorrow. I plan to get the new brake lines installed by the end of this week :)

I hope so .... :oops: I'm awaiting a response from the secretary for the Andreas racing association

There are no more car track days this year to the best of my knowledge as nobody has organised one / they have lost medical cover

The ARA lease the track out to anyone that's organising, they don't run track days :(

The moment you've all been waiting for .....

In person the exhaust is much throatier and will backfire (not afterfire) and crackle when downshifting, but unfortunately the car decided to behave itself when I downshifted and so there were no pops :( but this was driving it from almost a cold start and so there may not have been as much unburnt fuel as there would be if the engine was up to temperature

An explanation:

I have bucket seats and a harness bar with a race harness, so I put a detached seatbelt buckle into the standard seatbelt clip so that the alarm doesn't start beeping at me because I don't have the factory belt on. What you're seeing is the seat airbag light which is on because the connector for the factory seat airbags was disconnected and has been ever since I installed the bucket seats. I'd never go anywhere without a seatbelt :)

Some questions - what are the replacement fog lights? what exhaust did you get? what BHP is engine running? have you got any close ups of modified bumper?

cheers

Back