A few questions about My new Micra

B

BlueNeon

OK I have searched and found lots of decent info, nice one guys.

However, there are a few questions that I cant find answers to:

1. The rear engine mount has TOALLY gone! this seems to be a common fault (anyone got a spare i can buy?) anyway the question is this, would this cause problems shifting into 4th gear and reverse? (its a GSX 1.0 with a 5 speed box)

2. I have a 'misfire' it happens only when the car is low down the rev range, somtimes when im pulling away. (i am new to points, thou I havent played with them! I am used to ECU's and Electronic Ignition!) Is it likley to be electrical?

3. Oil light. I have heard that this is a common fault, it flickers on idle, and sometimes stays on a while, is it a knakered sender? is the oil pressure too low? the level is fine, im using Castrol 15/40 high Milage Mineral Oil.

4.Alternator bracket, I have posted in the 'wanted' section, but this is getting serious, i have a snapped bolt so i need desperatly to relace the bracket, has anyone got one?

5. Cambelt. Is there a 'Howto' to change this? I am sure my car is desperate for one (76k...) The haynes is useless

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Terry

well chap

ive never heard of the rear mount going, i can probably get you one depneding on where you are in the country.

2. id check the plugs leads, dissy cap etc etc, fitting an electronic dissy from a facelft k10 could help i have 2 sitting about £10 each

3. should 10/40w in there chap the sensor is easy to rplace though, it screwed into the back of the block under the inlet manifold

4.yup got one or can get one

5. it can be done DIY but get a mechanic to do it for peace of mind, its the only thing id want a garuntee on ;)

Speedle said:
5. it can be done DIY but get a mechanic to do it for peace of mind, its the only thing id want a garuntee on ;)

yeah, do get someone else to do it they're a tad fiddley!!!

BlueNeon said:
5. Cambelt. Is there a 'Howto' to change this? I am sure my car is desperate for one (76k...) The haynes is useless

Changing the cambelt is probably the hardest/longest job that is worth doing to the engine. The Haynes covers it well in my mind, it jumps around a bit, but doesn't miss any steps or do anything unnecessary. I wouldn't embark on it if it is your first engine job, and if you do, make sure you have a good set of tools as some bolts are tricky.

Andrew

Thank you, the rear engine mount is the one at the 'back' of the engine, nearest the bulkhead, there is no rubber in there whatsoever, just a few shreds! It does show how well balanced the engine is tho, there is no vibration at all. If it was my Silvia, the engine would be all over the place!

Can you give me a price for said mount, and the Alternator bracket? I dont seem to be able to use PM as I dont have permission? I am in New Romney in Kent.

Ill have the dizzy to please, I will need some guidance in intalling it and setting it up!

I have done a cambelt on my Bluebird Turbo, which was tough but not impossible, setting the tensioner was the hardest part! would you say its tougher than that?

Thank you for the replys

if you've done a timing belt and are happy doing it then on the micra it would be easy compared to the bluebird ;)

as for the dissy mount and bracket say £25 for the lot ill have to check on postage though but i will let you know :).

you can use pm once you have posted 50 time iirc so get posting :D

Speedle said:
if you've done a timing belt and are happy doing it then on the micra it would be easy compared to the bluebird ;)

as for the dissy mount and bracket say £25 for the lot ill have to check on postage though but i will let you know :).

you can use pm once you have posted 50 time iirc so get posting :D

LOL

ok thats great, Email me the details and ill get it sent to you, or maybe we can do paypal or somthing (if i can figure out how to use it!)

Thanks again

Terry

BlueNeon said:
I have done a cambelt on my Bluebird Turbo, which was tough but not impossible, setting the tensioner was the hardest part! would you say its tougher than that?

About the same probably. It's the top offside engine mount that is a pain to get off, three bolts, and not really enough room for a socket. Change the waterpump at the same time if you do it.

Hi Speedle (If you read this!) :) email me your details bud so i can send you some money!

On another note, regarding this misfire, it seems worse at low revs when the engine is hot?

a cold engine it is still there but hardly noticable? could it be a combo of fuel/crap ignition?

Thanks

Terry

Back