Engine starts - 5 secs later stalls

This is a K10 engine with AT - no mods, just a standard set up.

Symptoms: will start from cold first crank no problem, warms up with fast idle correctly and settles dwon to correct idle speed. Then... after a while (time seems to vary) the egnie speed drops to around 250/350 rpm and then stalls if the throttle is opened! After which, further attmpts to start the engine result in stalling after a few seconds of immediately if the throttle is opened.

Have checked all the vacuum hoses thoroughly and replaced all the brittle and perished ones. Checked the timing and mixture - they are as per spec. Checked the spark plugs and they are all fine, apart from showing a little rich running. Checked the electric choke - all works fine.

Hmm... now at a loss! I have other similar threads, but they do not seem to help.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Not very knowledgable about k10's but just a suggestion, does it use a air flow sensor? The reason I say this i had a similar problem on my 2 litre turbo and when i unplugged the are flow sensor it would run not rev but run and when i plugged it back in whilst running it then went funny like yours and stalled....

H

hannibal

Try the intake air temp sensor. Its in the air pan with a vacume hose goimg to it. I would pull the hose off and plug it up....see if it fixes it (did on my car) then eather leave it pluged or buy a new sensor. A nissan dealer told me we dont need it in this country (too cold)

OP
OP
U
Thanks guys,

1. It does not have an airflow sensor - it is a carb model, not FI.

2. I will definitely try the intake air temp sensor. Hannibal, your suggestion sparked something (no pun intended) I now remember that with the air filter housing removed and the vacuum line plugged the engine did not stall! So it would seem you might be right. I will try disconnecting the intake air temp sensor tonight and let you know what happens.

3. I operationally checked the auto choke and it is working fine.

Many thanks for your suggestions (Y)

OP
OP
U
Well Hannibal "you're de MAN"

I disconnected the air intake sensor (inside the air cleaner housing) and plugged the line. WA LA !! it did not stall when warmed up. Went round and round and round the block - no problems - thanks (Y) (Y)

Just for my own satisfaction I performed a compression test - 200psi on each cylinder.

Thanks again - my wife is very happy, well almost - she needs to have her confidence in the car restored, so it will take a few days of driving to build that up.

Not very knowledgable about k10's but just a suggestion, does it use a air flow sensor? The reason I say this i had a similar problem on my 2 litre turbo and when i unplugged the are flow sensor it would run not rev but run and when i plugged it back in whilst running it then went funny like yours and stalled....
This is a K10 engine with AT - no mods, just a standard set up.

Symptoms: will start from cold first crank no problem, warms up with fast idle correctly and settles dwon to correct idle speed. Then... after a while (time seems to vary) the egnie speed drops to around 250/350 rpm and then stalls if the throttle is opened! After which, further attmpts to start the engine result in stalling after a few seconds of immediately if the throttle is opened.

Have checked all the vacuum hoses thoroughly and replaced all the brittle and perished ones. Checked the timing and mixture - they are as per spec. Checked the spark plugs and they are all fine, apart from showing a little rich running. Checked the electric choke - all works fine.

Hmm... now at a loss! I have other similar threads, but they do not seem to help.

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome
Thanks guys,

1. It does not have an airflow sensor - it is a carb model, not FI.

2. I will definitely try the intake air temp sensor. Hannibal, your suggestion sparked something (no pun intended) I now remember that with the air filter housing removed and the vacuum line plugged the engine did not stall! So it would seem you might be right. I will try disconnecting the intake air temp sensor tonight and let you know what happens.

3. I operationally checked the auto choke and it is working fine.

Many thanks for your suggestions (Y)