58 1.2 engine. What are these in the engine bay?

I have bought a 58 plate cat D micra and am sourcing the parts to repair it.

Im ok with the bodywork but have noticed a couple of odd things

The first picture I have no idea what it is but its just hanging near the front

p1020377.jpg

The second picture looks like a tube is coming from the radiator with a bolt in it! Should there be a tank for this to connect to?

p1020379.jpg

Thanks for any help

Where did you find the first part? Looks like some kind of temperature probe :suspect:? Bottom part has got me well stumped!

Thanks for the replies so far, where should the radiator expansion tank sit?

I found the starnge 'probe' hanging around the passenger indicator

You may have it! On my 160, the expansion tank is right at the front but to the right as you look in the engine bay, to the right of the rad. Could you show us a pic of your car? Sounds like a great project :D!

The pipe in the second pic definitely goes to your rad expansion bottle, no idea about the first, but doesnt look like a temp probe to me, more like a heater.

I'll take some tomorrow and post them. It is an interesting project, but hopefully not too complex

I have a feeling that the first picture may be a temperature sensor for the radiator? The wires come from the same looma as the radiator fan

That sounds vaguely logical but surely the radiator fan coming on would be controlled by something that measured the actual water temperature?

its either a- the cooling fan speed resistor or b the in car heater stat speed ressitor im almost positive its for the cooling fan,

Back