55 Reg 1.6 Revving by itself

Had a 55 K12 1.6 (C+C) [61k miles] since last Friday. Noticed not long after picking it up that when putting the clutch in to change gear the revs would go up rather than drop off. Went back to the garage where I bought it today (with a 'warranty') and had the dreaded "that's just how the car is" and then "it's how the engine is programmed". Really?

Example: Pull off in 1st to 5MPH, press clutch+brake and stop. Revs go up to between 2k and 3k, sit there for 3 or 4 seconds then drop down to 1k. Sometimes will then stay at 1k, other times wander back up.

Example: Change from 3rd to 4th at 2.5k, even with foot off the accelerator the revs will blip up to >3k while the clutch is in.

Example: Driving along at 30, drop into neutral (I know that's bad!!). Revs drop to 1k, then up to 2~2.5k, back to 1k, back up to 2k... (repeats 4 or 5 times).

In all cases eventually the revs *will* sit at 1k. Note engine is hot, aircon is off and at *no* time is my foot anywhere near the throttle. If anyone with a 1.6 (same engine in C+C and hatch AFAIK) could comment I'd *really* appreciate it.

our works van did that slightly, i doubt if drive by wire will ever have the same responce as a physical cable personally, but yours does,nt sound right o_O have you checked for any faultcodes ?

Mine doesn't do that although it sometimes idles slightly high. Agree with Frank, plug a reader in and see if it's chucking up any codes :).

Well I read the codes with the reader I linked above (VS450 - VAG one) and it did not return anything. Reader connected OK, just said 'no codes' (unlike when connected to my Audi which has the dreaded G201 ESP fault).

Anyway, so any ideas? I was sat at a junction again this morning in neutral watching the rev counter repeatedly going from idle to 2k and back, which aside from wasting fuel is a bit embarrassing. :(

Back