Micra revving itself

Hi my Micra had been sat parked up for two years as it was not needed but now it is coming out of retirement and going back on the road. I stuck a new battery on and a can of fuel and it started first time and sounded nice and smooth :) but when applying some throttle the engine bogged down and died sort of felt like the cold start wasn't working/ activating?

Anyway I started it up again and just let it idle for 30seconds and it was fine. Took it for a mot and it passed with only advisory on front discs slightly pitted

It drove perfect like it always has around town but then went on a long drive 30 mile down the motorway pulled off and stopped at the lights and the engine kept revving itself like it couldn't control its idle eg at a guess as no rpm gauge 800rpm to 2000rpm it didn't stall or anything and started up again first time but still kept revving itself...

I'm on holiday right now with it parked up so going to see what it does when its cooled down

Its a 51 plate 1l engine

Thanks

Hi my Micra had been sat parked up for two years as it was not needed but now it is coming out of retirement and going back on the road. I stuck a new battery on and a can of fuel and it started first time and sounded nice and smooth :) but when applying some throttle the engine bogged down and died sort of felt like the cold start wasn't working/ activating?

Anyway I started it up again and just let it idle for 30seconds and it was fine. Took it for a mot and it passed with only advisory on front discs slightly pitted

It drove perfect like it always has around town but then went on a long drive 30 mile down the motorway pulled off and stopped at the lights and the engine kept revving itself like it couldn't control its idle eg at a guess as no rpm gauge 800rpm to 2000rpm it didn't stall or anything and started up again first time but still kept revving itself...

I'm on holiday right now with it parked up so going to see what it does when its cooled down

Its a 51 plate 1l engine

Thanks

Started the car again when stone cold and idle is perfect so it seems to only do it when hot after a long drive

Thanks will have a look, is there any pipes to look at in particular around that area?

Started fine again today but after 10 minutes it started doing it again.... Feel like an idiot stopping at zebra crossings with it revving up.....

Wondering if it might be idle air control valve related...
Like if the ecu coolant sensor is not working and it's staying in idle mode trying to maintain a high idle?

Had a look and they seem Ok. Started it up with the Airbox off and wiggled pipes and wires around and it was fine went to remove the maf but it uses stupid security torque screws, I have them in my kit but don't have my kit with me lol.....

What other parts can I clean on the intake side of things sensor wise? I'm guessing the tps is under the maf and the icv is the one at the bottom??. eg it goes maf, tps, icv ?

yours has the full obd2 diagnostic system steve, it should be easy to diagnose from there

Last edited:
I will have a look thanks. I'm thinking maf or icv, maybe the maf has a coating of oil as the air filter feels oily From the crank vent pipe / pcv....

Seems to have sorted itself out, I did remove and spray electrical cleaner on the maf so maybe that helped.

Connected it up to the computer at work and there was nothing stored in the error memory

Hopefully it won't do it again

Thanks

Hi there,

I am looking into an Issue with my Micra K12. I removed the MAF sensor earlier today and it was coated in oil- is it meant to be like this do you know? My car is also over revving and the revs stick at 1500 when I put my foot on the clutch. Anyone had similar issues or know if there is an oil leak anywhere?

Thanks,

Lucy

Back