5 speed long ratio gearbox needed I think?

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Gearbox making funny clicking noise which gets worse further up the gears?

Anyone selling good 5 speed box cheap or can advise on the above?

Yes, the noise goes when pushed. But I have a new clutch kit fitted (20 miles ago). What usually failes on the 5 speed boxes and are the 4 speeds stronger?

Yeh because i went and got the clutch done hoping it would get rid of the noise. I get a grinding noise which sounds like metal to metal, not in 1st and 2nd gear but in 3rd 4th and 5th. Also about %35 power loss, espically on motorways have to stay in the slow lane otherwise sounds like the gearbox will drop out!!

They also told me the Input shaft on the gearbox is in need of attention, play in the diffrential + 2 bolts missing form the bottom of the gearbox! taking it to ed on the weekend hopefully he will help me out with this 1

2 bolts missing from the box!!!! its proabbly dumping oil everywhere! certainly sounds like its shagged mate, like bob says to much power maybe you need to get the box rebuilt or get an uprated one sorted

it seems to me like these boxes are made of chocolate, the input saft on my old 4speed was knackered on my old box

its just that the gearbox bearings dont like lightened flywheels from the information ive found

the flywheel has nothing to do with gearbox failer????you go and buy any top spec race engine wether it be circuit,rallying or oval stadium racing and it will have a lightened or even alloy flywheel.

im only talking about the micra gearbox bob, i do think the gearboxs cant handle it as they arent the strongest even when running a stock engine, but thats if your using a old gearbox, if your using a new gearbox or a rebuilt with new bearings etc then i guess they might last longer and also it could be either the bearings or the casing that goes on a k10 from experience

but bob you might be right as i dont have no hard prove just what ive see and heard tbh

ok mate i think if your going to tune up a micra then i would use a 4 speed box thay do seem to last longer than the 5 speeds.
also i have found out that cars that have been used in city's the gearboxes are weak country boxes last longer....
city verses country boxes.....lol

Back