Wich K10 had the long ratio gearbox and 1.2 engine?

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Which K10 had the long ratio gearbox and 1.2 engine?

Any on ebay cheap or anyone selling gearbox and engine head in mint low miles condition?

pietro said:
Anyone selling a low milage 5 speed close ratio box?

Does this have the 1.2 and close ratio...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-NISSAN-M...647732540QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Which model varients had it and are there any on ebay with a bit of mot and tax so i can drive it home to strip?

Should I look for any 1.2 1990 onwards?

That car will more than likely be a 4 speed, but you could always contact the seller and ask! 99% of 1.2's have 5 speed boxes, so you'd have more luck with those, but short or wide ratio, i dont know how to tell

long/short gearbox

on top of the gearbox were the clutch cable mounting arm is bolted to the gearbox houseing under your dizzy.use a wire brush and clean up the top flat alloy face and you should see about 5 or 6 number,these are just casting number, but at the end of these marks also stamped in you should see either.
S4 or S5 meaning
S4 is long (3.8 diff ratio)
S5 is short (4.0 diff ratio)
there both crap for top road speed you want the 4 speed V4 box its got the 3.5 diff ratio in.the only problem with this box is it was only fitted to the 1st k10s on 12"wheel back in 1983 to 85 and there all rusted away...people think just because ive got a 5 speed box it must be faster its not,,,lol

I got a gearbox from what I think was a B reg 1.0 it had the long ratio 5 speed. It was quite mad, 100mph if you could do it (indicated) in 5th was from memory about 3500 rpm. The only Micra I have had that would get 50mpg average from mine to cornwall at roughly 70mph.

I have a K10 1988- It has the 4 speed box and before I replaced the 12" whels with 13" wheels it got to 100mph - now it will do 85-90 id I am lucky.

So which box is best? The... " 4 speed V4 box with the the 3.5 diff" or the "B reg 1.0 it had the long ratio 5 speed"

Or is mine good enough?

Ed said:
I got a gearbox from what I think was a B reg 1.0 it had the long ratio 5 speed. It was quite mad, 100mph if you could do it (indicated) in 5th was from memory about 3500 rpm. The only Micra I have had that would get 50mpg average from mine to cornwall at roughly 70mph.

have you still got it ed..sell me it

bobsp16 said:
have you still got it ed..sell me it

You wont believe this, but I abused this box as the clutch went and I snapped the selector mech (this was like 4-5 years ago) I threw it away without even a second thought as I didnt know how impossible they were to get :( I really wish i still had it now, as the current 5spd box I have drives me nuts.

Ed said:
You wont believe this, but I abused this box as the clutch went and I snapped the selector mech (this was like 4-5 years ago) I threw it away without even a second thought as I didnt know how impossible they were to get :( I really wish i still had it now, as the current 5spd box I have drives me nuts.

Should of keeped the 79/22 crown and pinion ed there as rare as rocking horse muck

Yeah, Trouble is back then I just got my first ST and I didnt care about the K10!! Such is life.. I'll keep an eye out for them now.

My Datsun has it's original 5speed 1.0 gearbox, but a MA12 engine!!! Couldn't tell u what ratio tho lol!!

Ems said:
My Datsun has it's original 5speed 1.0 gearbox, but a MA12 engine!!! Couldn't tell u what ratio tho lol!!
wire brush the bit where i said in the early thread....sell me it anyway ok....

Ems said:

Its a great box too! Look after it! (in other words, dont let me drive it haha!)

Slim if thats the case how come every K10 that I have come across bar 2 have had the short ratio ones! It seems you would be much more likely to get the longer ratio one if that was the case.

the gold one is regularly getting a 49/50mpg at the minute, does that mean it has the long ratio gearbox? which is exactly the same as the gearbox I have in bits in my garage (needs repairing got jammed in third) if anyone wants it?

173742 M4 - My gearbox number - it is a 4 speed box

173742 M4 - Does this M stand for medium ratio?

I get 50mpg at the moment if this helps.

So what gearbox do I have? Thanks :)

Ed, i' mright, trust me. I've had lots of different combinations of boxes and i know whats what. I've had pre facelift 5 speeds and have all been the long ratio, all MA12's are long ratio. I've had a super S, pete's gold MA12 had the long ratio, but we replaced it with one from a 1.2 Chic which is ;long ratio. It's only the facelift MA10 that has the close ratio one, which is a load of poo, because you screw the brains out of it in 1st and 2nd and you arent even going 45

Ok, well either my box was a much longer ratio still or every other 5spd I have been in has been swaped at some stage to a close ratio. Because I have yet to come across the same again.

Put it in 5th gear and tell me what rpm you are at, at 70mph.

lol, then all the 4 spd boxes are the same that I have ever driven.

over the past 6 years of cutting gutting and racing k10s i have came across 3types of boxes,sort box(4.0) common on 5 speed ma10,a mid box(3.8) on ma12and all 4 speeds,
and what i call a long box which has a 3.5 diff ratio which you find on the 1st ma10's 5 speed on 12" wheels
so what you all call long ratio boxes there really the mid one's long.

That would make sense, since as you will know bob, the really long ratio ones are ridiculous!

Back