2003 Micra - Alternator problem..I think?

Evening All,

Just joined this site as I need to sort out the Alternator on my mates Micra - dont have a manual and this looks like the place to ask!

Micra in question has had battery light on and off for a few weeks, lights dim etc. At the weekend it completely conked out and had to be jump started, then only just got home. I'm guessing this either means the belt has been loose for ages (dont think hes ever had it serviced) or the alternator is gone - or, the batterys not holding a charge.

Does anyone have any info/advice on the best way to isolate the cause please? Also, is there any type of free servicing manual online which would give details on how big a job changing the alternator is? I dont even know where it is in a micra as its not mine and ive never had one - although I hear they are the canines lower appendages..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Alternator is pretty open to be honest....
Get a multimeter onto the battery before and after a bump start, 12.5v on batt. before a start is a good sign.

If you dont have a MM Get a heavy mallet & serve the alternator couple of blows. reason it stops charging you get the white coating develop on the coils which stops it from charging. Hitting the alternator with a hammer isnt a permanent solution but if your battery starts to recharge after you are pretty sure the alternator is on its way out.

Back