1k to spend, need power (now considering 1.6 conversion)

D

dlongmu

OK i have a 1.3 super S K11 the now... i have 1k, and want at least 135-140 bhp for that sortof cash.... now i was under the impression the sunny 1.6 16v engine was a straight swap for the 1.3, but was reading somewhere about custom driveshafts and all that nonsense, if it was a straight swap with 1.3 gearbox, mounts etc. still in use id do it no worries... anyone confirm this for me? id be looking to spend 500 on the conversion, then 500 on tuning, im thinking back box (150) manifold (250) and superchip maybe? just to start with then when ive saved a bit more some cams would be nice..... anyone reckon a tuned 1.6 could push out more than 135bhp? eventually itd be getting the polished head etc. and milled head to up the compression for a finishing touch :laugh: but only if people think its worth it... i know the micra weighs nearly nothing compared to most cars, even being a good 100+ kilos lighter than the crx 16v ... and possibly less than saxo's (not looked) so id hope a tuned 1.6 would be faster than both these cars.....
please help guys before the cash washes away spent on nothing :blush:

Do the 1.6, standard it's around 100bhp so adding manifolds and exhaust will get you plenty more.

Dusk and kristian are about to fit a 1.6 soon, try these lads for more details.

From my research, shafts need shortening, mounts need changing, chassis needs cutting and welding, loom needs changing and bigger radiator needs fitting. These are just the main ones.
Getting it done by garage for £500 with the engine is unlikely but it's not difficult for mechanically minded people, the welding has to be the hardest thing as it is the chasis leg.

Good luck

goldstar0011 said:
Do the 1.6, standard it's around 100bhp so adding manifolds and exhaust will get you plenty more.

Dusk and kristian are about to fit a 1.6 soon, try these lads for more details.

From my research, shafts need shortening, mounts need changing, chassis needs cutting and welding, loom needs changing and bigger radiator needs fitting. These are just the main ones.
Getting it done by garage for £500 with the engine is unlikely but it's not difficult for mechanically minded people, the welding has to be the hardest thing as it is the chasis leg.

Good luck

oh my goodness, ALL that needs to be done?!?! ruddy ell.... and ive heard of already converted 1.6 micras going for 400-500 quid alone... hmmm might wait for one to come up lol; surely there must be an easy way of getting power out these ######s :p

you could probably nearly get that kinda power spending that money on n/a turning the cg13, or even turbo the cg13 and get more.... (if you dont fancy the work of an engine conversion)

They go for less than they cost but be careful, the cheaper they go for can mean the work isn't done right.

There is alot of work but if you're after a project this is probably easiest.

You don't need to cut the chassis if you use an electric water pump.
You could probably fit it yourself for about £500 if you used the CG gearbox, but all the mouts will have to be custom, which is daunting if you haven't done it before.
It is a very do-able project, the wiring is probably the hardest part, buthtat is because people splice looms, so why not just put the entire loom from the Almera/Primera in instead, no worries then.

dlongmu said:
oh my goodness, ALL that needs to be done?!?! ruddy ell.... and ive heard of already converted 1.6 micras going for 400-500 quid alone... hmmm might wait for one to come up lol; surely there must be an easy way of getting power out these ######s :p

well you'll be waiting a long time, nex has the only one. If i were you. k1 would buy,

Second hand manifold and catback £300
Cams £300
fitting and remap £400

that would see you decent power. But would need brakes and a suspension etc. There's no cheap way to go fast in a micra.

Craigs right, its the water pump pulley that is the reason for cutting chassis.

The only 1.6's i know to still be in use or be used is Nex's which he's just bought and fixing up and Rik's old one that Dusk is rebuilding.

If not doing the work yourself the cost will be up to 1k as the time to do it will be the biggest bill

goldstar0011 said:
Craigs right, its the water pump pulley that is the reason for cutting chassis.

The only 1.6's i know to still be in use or be used is Nex's which he's just bought and fixing up and Rik's old one that Dusk is rebuilding.

If not doing the work yourself the cost will be up to 1k as the time to do it will be the biggest bill

sadly though thats not a possibility as theres not a garage within 200 miles thatd touch an engine conversion that i know off, and if there is the labour costs will be through the roof ive no doubt going by general trends in this area...

now ive priced up a turbo conversion and 1k can easily cover all the neccesary parts including a piggy-back ECU, (and im quite sure fitting this all up is within my remit) but i cant help think the tuning afterwards would cost a bomb, and i cant see it being likely that you could run even a T25 on stock boost and still maintain the stock fuel map and it lasting more than 3k lol

also, would a n/a tuned 1.3 really be worth it? i cant see it reaching anywhere near 140bhp to be honest...

i'll be honest, its doubtful you will get the power you want for your budget, , you certainly won't get a turbo conversion for under £1000, or a 140bhp n/a k11.

for a £1000 your probably looking at cams, manifold and suitable engine management, which will probably see you at about 110 bhp at the fly / 100 at the wheels maybe.

yeah i agree would be about 105 ish is as it comes i think pete. but with a bit of boost upping i think 135bhp could be not too out of sight. double that 5psi to 10psi. optimax to keep the fuel nice etc.

about £1000 delivered for the basic kit.
or £800 + delivery. so its comfortably under £1000.

Im not going to buy one, but just out of interest pete, could you tell us the duties that would be added onto it for reference please?

personally when buying from the states i always say, have the cash in £ as it does in $, if its less when it comes to your door bonus, but i have been stung on import tax enough to always buy like this

if you could find a uk tuning dealer/garage that would import it you wouldnt have to pay the customs etc. also you can ask for the usa tax to be taken off the £800 as you dont need to pay it on export.

you will still need to pay customs charges, actually who-ever imports it will, and then charge you.

if anything is brought into the country from the states you must pay import - unless it is a gift or of low / no value.

Most companies will not mark products as this as it is illegal.

get a mate in america to buy one over the counter then send it over in a suitcase with loads of cards and a teddy bear or two....

when i got the whiteline kit from oz via demon tweeks i didnt pay anymore than what the price list was in oz. i think dealers get a discount so absorb any import duty.

Back