1994 (M) Micra stalling when idle

CMF_fatboyjim

» CMF Member
Hi all,

First post here and I know little to nothing about cars so please be gentle!

Me and gf picked up a Micra for £600 about a month ago, it's a perfect little car but does have one annoyance. It will stall as you put your foot on the clutch when coming to the first junction after starting, and then again at the second one, and sometimes up to about 5 times. It appears that once it's warmed up it's no problem.

It is especially bad on a cold morning (as above, up to about 5 or 6 stalls until it is OK) - it does have the problem during the occasional daytime as well, if it is left standing in the car park unused for a few hours (but then it will usually only stall once maybe twice)

I put a new air filter in as recommended by a mate, the old one was fairly crapped on. He had a look down the mesh into the throttle body and said it looked dead clean already so not worth the bother of cleaning as apparently this can be another cause of the problem? And it was also said it looked 'a bit of a bitch' to get to the bit that you need to clean - is this right?

Since replacing the air filter it did seem slightly better for about a day but then deteriorated fairly sharpish back to near its original state

Has anyone got any ideas what this might be? And how to go about fixing it?

Any other info I need to provide I will happily do so

Thanks for any help
Jim

CMF_fatboyjim

» CMF Member
Thanks for this Frank, I've got a Haynes manual on its way, hopefully I'll find exactly where you mean and give it a look

I've also noticed, there's a little pipe (couple of cms wide) coming from somewhere under the distributor, which isn't plugged in to anything but just hanging around... Is this a problem?

Thanks
Jim

Back