155 tyres

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
I have '175' tyres on the super s - originally had 5 inch rim.I have come across a set of 155's.

Will they fit ? Is this what they call 'stretching tyres'. Is there any safety reason i should not use 155's

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
Tyre stretching is putting a narrow tyre than standard on a rim.

They will fit.

Rolling radius might be put out a little bit depending on profile of the tyre.

Normally done with an adjustment in tyre profile so that wheels will fit under guards without fouling, or to maintain a certain rolling radius (so speedo is accurate).

155 on a 5" rim is nothing major though, I have 165s on my 7" rims with out issue.

Basically a narrower tyre will have less surface area with which it can grab the road with. So slightly less grip/traction than with a wider tyre.
The other issue is the load rating of the tyres, in the glove box there is a minimum tyre load rating on the recommended tyre pressure placard. You should make sure that the tyres meet the minimum requirements (more of a defect issue as micras weigh half of eff all)

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
Thanks Greo for the explanation. The tyres i have on it now are 60 profile,but as the ones i am looking at are stock sort of tyres they are probably 70 profile. Reason i am doing it is because i can get a set of 4 brand new 155 tyres for $50... so i am thinking...why not ?

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
stretched tyres have less sidewall flex and smaller contact patch on the road so when they break grip it will be sudden. thats why F1 tyres have high sidewalls, more grip and more progressive break in traction when they reach their limits.

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
penpusher WROTE:

"set of 4 brand new 155 tyres for $50... so i am thinking...why not ?

Sounds terrible to me. Remember tyres are the only thing controlling where your car goes on the road.

$50 for tyres is too cheap. Tyres are often a case of 'you get what you pay for'. Sounds like you would be endangering yourself and other road users by putting terrible tyres on your micra.

Back