1.6 SR making roaring noise at high speed and even in neutral

My car has done 54,000 miles. Now when I drive at 40 mph and higher I can hear a roaring noise, not sure from front or back. Cant hear when stationary. It sounds nice but worried something might be wrong. It has nothing to do with high or low rev, it only happens when driving over a certain speed...I have a custom built back box for over 4 years but this noise is something new...Any idea?

OUCH that is a hell of alot of money, i swear bearing are about 40 quid a pair and all u need is to remove the wheel and drum or whatever and its there... even easier if they have rear disks

They're a weird Renault design Will. The bearing actually pushes into a sleeve that's part of the brake drum. The two problems when trying to do it yourself are pulling the drum/bearing off the stub axle and the pressing the bearing out of the drum - that's why mine went into Nissan. As a plus side, they fitted the shoes I couldn't fit myself at the same time :).

Prices depend where you line. My local Nissan garage do a level 3 for under £200. Took it to a Nissan in Altrincham for a level 3 once, £350+!!! When they phoned a few months later to book it in for it's next service I told them to ###### off grr.

haha alright then sorry about that i remember on my old renault the wheel breaginf was doddle (i must admit i never did get around to changing it) and the bearing had collapsed

Back