1.6 or 1.3

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
I have a measly little cg10 in a facelift, in the next few months I'm going to become a lunatic and change it.
So CG13 or GA16.
Which do you guys prefer/ suggest.

I like the idea of the GA because its slightly more unique but the 1.3 seems a much easier job.

HALP!

Drawbacks of each?

I know there are many topics on both but I'd like to compare the 2 here.
Especially if someone has had both.

Then the next step is to decide, NA or turbo.

I thought someone would want to help decide?
Once i have my plans i am becoming a club member!

The 1.3 is undoubtedly held back with the stock equipment on the car(Especially manifold).

So the 1.3 has a bolt load of power waiting to be unloaded, is cheap to run/maintain and is fun to modify, you can also get away running low stock compression setups on the standard internals (Although you'd think about getting rid of the low part ;) )

The 1.6 is as you say unique, as for modifications, there aren't many 1.6 micras around, however the blog of the turbo 1.6 i've read seems mighty impressive, so depending on what you want to do, it may be a good option for turbo, heck they both are :D.

Happy deciding!

The ga16 is a heavy engine compared to the cg13 so you'd need to put that into consideration
GA16 cast block, aluminum head
CG13 aluminum block, aluminum head
iirc
someone may correct me

No doubt the ga16 would be a good option but there is alot of time and effort needed to fit it, it's all down to whether or not you have the time, money and drive to fit it

Looks like its gonna be the CG13 then, i already knew about the cast iron block on the ga but seems it will be alot of work for little difference.

CG13 with CG10 pistons has been mentioned before, is this a direct swap or will i have to change the rings?
Manifold is an obvious swap and cams.
Then I'm not sure whether I'm going turbo or staying N/A

So many questions i may as well start asking.

Pressed or persuaded with hammers gradually increasing in size?
Nice and easy as i have a CG10 going spare, time to try beat your N/A Frank hehe.
Was hoping you'd reply if i'm honest.

Pressed or persuaded with hammers gradually increasing in size?
Nice and easy as i have a CG10 going spare, time to try beat your N/A Frank hehe.
Was hoping you'd reply if i'm honest.

borrow my tool if you wanna :grinning:

Attachments

• SDC11715.JPG
    SDC11715.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 277
the GA16 is 102 bhp stock, the 1.3 can do that pretty much with some head work an exhaust and cams, BUT the 1.6 has bigger displacement so you get more toque for every BHP you squeeze out of it. the GA16 is an easy fit. i would say its easier than a turbo mod, and only a little bit more complicated than a 1.3 mod. you just have to fabricate some mounts, new shafts and exhaust down pipe, and extend a little bit of the wiring and put the 1.6 ECU in.

or leave the CG box in there and bolt the GA to that, then you just have to do the mounts and the exhaust.

GA16 is 98bhp stock in the UK and 115bhp in Oz an America.

I would personally choose GA. Much easier to get big power without sacrificing reliability. You can get a UK GA16 to the same kinda power as a stock SR20 with Exhaust system, intake and cams... If you change the UK intake manifold to the better US manifold then your on your way to good power.

And the GA in turbo form can handle 250bhp+

Well Frank i may take you up on that offer, thats a nice big bin of rods and pistons you have there haha.
Looksl ike i'm going for the CG for now then building up a GA for future use.

Back