1.0 or 1.3?

been wondering about this for a while

i know i want a k11 micra prefacelift, preferably a 5 door in red, as basic model as possible i.e. L or LX (i love the early 1.0 L interior with the bit of metal showing on the inside of the door, and completely flat door card :p)

the plan will be for a knocked about rat style, slammed to the floor, with either banded 13" micra steelies, or some deep dish 13" super lite wheels, black bumpers, roof rack, spotlights and a crusty sun damaged white bonnet. maybe a side exit exhaust? :p

however i dont know whether to go for a cg10 or cg13.

the advantages of a 1.0 will be cheaper insurance, cheaper mods (e.g. 1.3 cams) and the fact that they are supposedly better for high revs with the limiter removed, and i love high reving engines. plus it would be different to all the modified 1.3s on here and they are easier to find

the advantages of a 1.3 are obvious with more power as standard and more tuneability, but i wont have a huge budget, so i probs wont be able to get that much power out of it.

wondering what you think? which is the best choice for a low budget warm hatch?

If you don't have a big budget then just get a 1.3, then you won't have to spend money tuning it up. My friend did the white bonnet thing, it looked awful, the car just looked like a banger going down the road. After a few weeks he got another in the right colour and i pulled out the grinder and cut up the white one, ball of balls man.

I have thought about getting a 1.3 and just leaving it, but i love tinkering, and would love to tune it up, i really am stuck as to what to do :(

the whole point of the while bonnet idea is to make it look a bit like a banger, as i said it a beat up rat style i will be going for.

cheers for the reply mate, il still bear it in mind

Just buy one that's already shabby with a 1.3 then you won't have to do anything... There isn't much tinkering to be done to make something look crap, but going the other way there are years worth of tinkering involved to smarten a micra up and make it really sweet. You can eassentially rebuild the whole car with all new parts over a few years, starting with the mechanicals of course. And then at the end of the day you'll have a virtually new micra when you're done, and if you wanna do it all over again with another micra you can get the top price for the mint one you just finished.
If you're wanting a sleeper type look i.e. looks slow but is very quick. Then even if you just left it looking perfectly standard with no alloys or lowering springs, it would still be a sleeper as no one would give it a second thought that it might be tweaked.

i would go for the 1.3 personally timmeh (not much difference in the insurance and running costs) and there,s loads of lowcost tinkering you can do :wasntme:
where abouts are you btw ? (i,ve just been offered a 97 5d 1.3 mot fail)

and there,s loads of lowcost tinkering you can do

Coming from you Frank, that's like saying you may find the odd grain of sand or two down at the seaside :D.

@porkpie700 i'm not sure how familiar you are with the rat style? its used a lot in the vw world, but the style normally consists of a car looking like a #### heap, except that its slammed to the floor, often with gleaming deep dish alloys or steelies. however most rat cars are mechanically brilliant, and often very powerful. so basically i will need a car in relatively good shape, to make look worse, but run even better.

@frank how much difference in insurance is there between the 2 engines? i live in northfield in birmingham, but i dont have the money yet, i havent even got round to selling my #### heap corsa yet du:(

Coming from you Frank, that's like saying you may find the odd grain of sand or two down at the seaside :D.
:blush:
@frank how much difference in insurance is there between the 2 engines? i live in northfield in birmingham, but i dont have the money yet, i havent even got round to selling my #### heap corsa yet du:(

i,m not sure, but i think its only 1 insurance group difference, try a couple of quotes eh, and you,re local eh, i,ll let you know if you want on that mot fail :grinning:

Back