1.4 X Reg Massive Oil Leak

The wife has a 5 door 1.4 x Reg Micra. It's been dripping slightly for ages and was so little nothing to worry about. The day before Hols, no oil on dipstick, so I topped it up. As soon as the engine was started, oil started gushing from the bottom rear of the engine. I'll be honest here, because of time and events, I've not even had chance to look, so a cheeky question for those who might know the obvious answer, could it be an oil pipe burst, oil filter fallen off or something else. Still on hols, but just trying to get ahead if it;s something common and obvious to those who know. I've never worked on one of these before, but enjoy every minute as it's like a go-kart compared to driving 4x4's and trucks all day.... Many thanks in advance...

Was on the tip of my tongue...the oil filter is at the back under the inlet manifold, difficult to see so you basically have to line it up by feel
Now sorted... The oil filter was loose, last owner, the pressure pushed the rubber out in such a way that a get of oil came out in a perfect round jet, which looked like a bolt hole leak. New filter and oil, now perfect with no oil leaks anywhere...

Now sorted... The oil filter was loose, last owner, the pressure pushed the rubber out in such a way that a get of oil came out in a perfect round jet, which looked like a bolt hole leak. New filter and oil, now perfect with no oil leaks anywhere...

Good stuff. The markings on the filter housing itself say screw it in until you get contact +3/4 of a turn but I always hate move-on specs! The filter on my bike is spec'd at 10Nm so I did mine up to that + a little more because that felt loose :p

Back