Snapped Head bolt causes oil leak

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Hi peeps got some info for you, something I've never heard of before.

I Took my car into a Garage for a new Head gasket as it was leaking....or so I thought. One of the head bolts had snapped causing oil to seep out, as well as that another bolt came out with the thread insert from the block! :eek: Apparently the bolts had rusted. I'm thinking how can moisture get in there if it's torqued the way it is?

I'm looking at a hefty bill for this as the block now has to be re-tapped for a grand total of......wait for it..... £150!!! What are they going to do for that?
Are they going to have sex with it?
Maybe they're putting on some Gold leaf for decoration?

Fer crying out loud all they've gotta do is re-thread the hole with an insert surely?

.....plus after all that I'm also having a new water pump fitted along with a Cambelt and Tensioner, 2 Head bolts and not forgetting the sundries....

Btw, it took the Garage 3 hours to tell me the bolts had snapped = £101 labour costs
So how far did they get to find that out?

Hopefully they can do the rest without adding to the spiralling costs......

I've had problems with the three bolts on the front of the block. They are open to the elements at the bottom so you can get rust creeping up the threads and corroding them in tight to the aluminium.

Don't believe a head bolt had snapped in service, more likely it snapped when they tried to undo it.

Back