1.4 SE+ gearbox on its way out

Hi all,

the silver surfer or meep-meep as the kids call it has some severe gearbox issues and it's likely to fail any time soon. This is not a shock to us but what is, is the rarity of a 1.4 second hand K11 gearbox.

The car was bought as a run around and has lasted longer than expected. Surprisingly good fun to drive too. It now only covers around 2 miles a day and I'd like to keep it going, seems such a shame to scrap it. Having the gearbox repaired is to costly.

So other than keeping my fingers crossed that something turns up on flea-bay soon the only other option I see is to use a gearbox from a smaller engine. Does anyone know if this is even possible and what issues I might encounter bearing in mind I'm covering minimal mileage a day.

Any ideas and advice appreciated, thanks.

The 1.0l coilpack gearbox works fine. That's what I use on my 1.4. It's a straight swap and there's loads of them. I also swapped the flywheel with the 1.0l as well while I was at it. It's 2kg lighter. And no, it doesn't rev it's nuts off. I do motorway miles and it sits at 3000rpm@60mph. As you only do small miles it'll feel like a different car. Great fun. By the way replace the drive shaft oilseals on the gearbox when you change it. They're only £7 from Nissan. I found they can leak when disturbed.

Back