1.3l Rebuild Parts

Always looking for bits on eBay for the rebuild. Will need new cam chains, etc.

Opinions on this, please- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-TIMING-CHAIN-KIT

Price, quality(?), etc.

S

No idea about the quality to be honest but the price doesn't seem too bad to me. I've not researched that deeply but getting the whole kit for under £100 seems to be a bit of a bargain to me - I'm sure I've seen one site that quoted approx £150 for timing chains alone!!! Of course that may be the exception rather than the rule - how much do Nissan charge for the whole kit (or is that just a stupid thing to ask)?!?!

I remember having to buy the timing chains/tensioners/cogs etc for my old "W" reg twin cam Celica years ago & the whole lot (even with a very generous & unasked for (!) discount from Toyota) came to way more than that so I'd say it's a good price at the least!

Sorry I can't be more help :(

Much help, thanks for the insight. Seems to me that if it's good quality stuff it's quite a bargin (can't imagine a Nissan dealer's price). I'm a little concerned about only ten feedbacks, but, that said, with 100% it probably isn't an issue.

S

Yes, that's it. Seller says it's new but looks a bit grubby doesn't it? I've emailed him asking about brand, wrapping, etc. Really kind of wary on this.

S

naaah, thats the same kit ive got.... use all of it, appart from the top tensioner... cos its rubbish..

use the stock nissan one, n you will be fine.

all the cogs have the teeth heat treated, the idler cog is actualy beefier than the nissan one.... and it fits perfectly, once setup.

mines never missed a heartbeat since changing it. and its quieter on cold startup than my colleagues S2000.... and his is a '56' plate.... mines done 109,000 miles...ish.

Okay, thanks, I'll have another think on it. Seller emailed me that parts have no brand name but are still in original wrappings. Where did you get your set, and wonder where he got his?

Incidentally (you probably know this already) Haynes states condition of chain can be determined by amount of sideways flex. This one, with 119,000 miles of use, flexes quite a bit. Tensioners heavily grooved also. Last photo is my solution for slightly noisey engine bay.

S

Attachments

• IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 179
does that matting not keep the heat in the engine bay as well though ? a lot of heat escapes through the bonnet, mine steams in the rain after a drive at motorway speeds.

No problems on the hottest days, in traffic, so far. Cat would probably prefer the bonnet without it as it's not such a warm place to lie after a run.

S

Back