1.3 timing dilemma

hi I am in the process of rebuilding my lads 1300 and think I have a problem with the cam timing , maybe jumped a tooth. I set the crank at tdc ( timing mark on cog correct position ) chain on , correct positions of bright links both cam sprocket and idler. Put the cams in and lined up chain ( all three bright links in line with marks ) fitted the tensioner locked in as per manual. Then I maybe stupidly turned the crank by hand to make sure it wasn't locking up.
Now no matter how much I turn it over the three links on cam chain don't ever line back up with timing marks , the closest I have got is one tooth out.
Question is has the chain jumped a tooth where the tensioner wasn't taking up the slack ?? And do I need to start again ??
Many thanks in advance for any advice

hi I am in the process of rebuilding my lads 1300 and think I have a problem with the cam timing , maybe jumped a tooth. I set the crank at tdc ( timing mark on cog correct position ) chain on , correct positions of bright links both cam sprocket and idler. Put the cams in and lined up chain ( all three bright links in line with marks ) fitted the tensioner locked in as per manual. Then I maybe stupidly turned the crank by hand to make sure it wasn't locking up.
Now no matter how much I turn it over the three links on cam chain don't ever line back up with timing marks , the closest I have got is one tooth out.
Question is has the chain jumped a tooth where the tensioner wasn't taking up the slack ?? And do I need to start again ??
Many thanks in advance for any advice
I would start again.. And you were Very smart to turn the engine over by hand!!! not my favourite place to be!

Had a look at a few threads and pics regards lobes positions. Tomorrow I will set the crank at tdc and take a pic of cams , hopefully they are ok
Thanks again for replys

A pic of cams. Looks a little out to me
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Okey dokey I will take that Frank
Just got to finish build ( inlet etc ) then chuck the old gal in and see what happens Going to use primera 1.6 t/b injectors and ecu/loom and hope she purrs lol fingers crossed. Thanks for the help sir

On doing a little more "research" I found a thread on advance and retard cam timing. If I read correctly advance for more grunt , retard for top end. Question being how to advance and by how much ?
Thanks as always

Back