Timing question

wehey

Ex. Club Member
i have nearly finished rebuildng my 1.3 from the crank upwards. (Complete engine strip down) incl a head skim.
I was rotating the crank pulley to check and double check the cam timing which is spot on.

I did however notice that if I rotate the pulley anti clockwise that the pulley rotated but the cams take a bit of time to catch up, about 20 degrees on the pulley before the cams begin rotate.

At first I panicked thinking that I had attached the bottom chain incorrectly and would have to strip it down again.
Would I be right in saying that when I rotate anti clockwise I am firstly taking up the slack in both chains?

i have nearly finished rebuildng my 1.3 from the crank upwards. (Complete engine strip down) incl a head skim.
I was rotating the crank pulley to check and double check the cam timing which is spot on.

I did however notice that if I rotate the pulley anti clockwise that the pulley rotated but the cams take a bit of time to catch up, about 20 degrees on the pulley before the cams begin rotate.

At first I panicked thinking that I had attached the bottom chain incorrectly and would have to strip it down again.
Would I be right in saying that when I rotate anti clockwise I am firstly taking up the slack in both chains?
Yes. I was told you should never turn a chain driven engine backwards..?

I don't really get it that it scores the bores?
Pistons go either up or down. If you turn the crank anti clockwise they can still only go up or down?

the only way you can do any damage is if there is a load of slack in the chains, my old skimmed and cammed engines would lock up (piston-valve contact) when turned backwards

Back