1.3 crank & pistons into a 1.0?????

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
just wondering if it's worth me swopping the crank and pistons from a 1.3 into my 1.0, rather than swopping the whole engine.
does anyone know if this will fit/work and also are the cylinder heads the same???
the reason for this is that my engine number will stay the same and it will also say it's a cg10! it will be easier than swopping the whole engine anyway.
any thoughts please?

ide do a whole engine swap,,but thats just what ide do lol

dunno if it would fit or not,,dont think anyone has done it before tbh

the only differences are the crank and the rods not the pistons.. you can swap them fairly easy but then again the engine can be swaped faily easilly aswell :) which is cheaper?

hughes_16v said:
i think the pistons etc...... are all the same its just the stroke thats different but i might be very wrong to be honest, best bet is to try it

I think maybe an informed opinion is better than just trying it.

i've got a cg13 engine out. it would be cheaper for me to put the crank in as i wouldn't need to buy/hire an engine hoist. also cheaper on insurance if the block says 'cg10' lol.
what about the heads? i know the cams are different, but what about the rest of it?
cheers for the help folks.

silver_si said:
i've got a cg13 engine out. it would be cheaper for me to put the crank in as i wouldn't need to buy/hire an engine hoist. also cheaper on insurance if the block says 'cg10' lol.
what about the heads? i know the cams are different, but what about the rest of it?
cheers for the help folks.

Swapping the crank without engine removal is a real pain. You will need a new set of bearings, and if the pistons are different, new rings. Hiring and engine crane is less than £20. And doing it so you can commit insurance fraud, great idea.

Andrew said:
Swapping the crank without engine removal is a real pain. You will need a new set of bearings, and if the pistons are different, new rings. Hiring and engine crane is less than £20. And doing it so you can commit insurance fraud, great idea.

Probably the reason why he wants to use his block rather than a full 1.3 lump. They would have to seriously strip it down to notice. if you don't do many other mods. Exterior and cams etc. I very much doubt they would split the bottom end. Even in a fatal accident i doubt they would split the bottom end. If EVERYTHING else is stock.

They'd just need to measure the bore and stroke - easy when they pull the head off.

You just never know what's going to happen and what they would do. Declare it and stump up the difference.

Moschops said:
They'd just need to measure the bore and stroke - easy when they pull the head off.

You just never know what's going to happen and what they would do. Declare it and stump up the difference.

To they really go into that much detial? jesus...

- Just thought i should add before I get "funny" replies that I dont really think trying to swindle the insurance is a good idea.

if insurance wasnt so high people would not even consider it.

just like copied playstation games and cd's if prices were lower people wouldnt consider pirated options

It doesn't matter how cheap or easy anything is, society will try and get round paying. That doesn't make it acceptable; it simply perpetuates the problem.

You would be surprised the length that some insurance companies will go to in investigating accidents. If they can avoid paying out, they will.

i worked in an accident damage repair centre for a year and i never saw a single insurance investigator look around a single car let alon come and start meassuring the bore and stroke on a 1.3 micra!!! the only time i ever saw anything was when the police arrived to scraped someones face off a saxo dashbord...

you would need to change cams, the ECU, the rods and the crank and you would have a 1.3 spec engine...

Andrew said:
It doesn't matter how cheap or easy anything is, society will try and get round paying. That doesn't make it acceptable; it simply perpetuates the problem.

You would be surprised the length that some insurance companies will go to in investigating accidents. If they can avoid paying out, they will.
no pal
if ithings were cheaper people wouldnt see the need to do it.

why would you when everything could be declared at a cheap price

prices are ridiculas these days for insureance.
i wasnt saying it was right but it would definatly cut down.

lol bring electric chair back and see how many people commit crime

I plan to declare all the mods listed in my sig, if for nothing but the peace of mind that i'll get the money back if anything were to happen (heaven forbid). Worth the extra if you ask me.

Craig said:
The 1l pistons are flat-top so would give a bit more comp. if you used them
I remeber somet' about them striking the valves though... or was that someone running a ridiculously high revving engine?

James said:
I plan to declare all the mods listed in my sig, if for nothing but the peace of mind that i'll get the money back if anything were to happen (heaven forbid). Worth the extra if you ask me.
i no mate all my mods are declared and its a expensive job. all i was saying isd if it was cheaper it would deter people from insurance fraud

ill be claiming all mine too...whats point in having it if its void??

i didnt tell them about my tints ,but they didnt say anything about it wen they estimated the cost of damage so ill leave em

richmicratwista said:
i no mate all my mods are declared and its a expensive job. all i was saying isd if it was cheaper it would deter people from insurance fraud
Yeah I know what you mean, but at the end of the day, insurance is something you NEED and the companies play on that (and the desire for young people to modify cars) so I don't think it's in their best interests to charge less.
Having said that, when my insurance expires with Norwich Union in April i'll be switching to a more mod-friendly company (I don't think Norwich Union allow anything other than like alloys and tints or something).

Maybe use the MSC 10% Discount with Adrian Flux... ;)

AFAIK most companies only insure you for the replacement cost of standard parts, Adrian Flux IIRC may be different, but that will cost extra.
Contraversial statement, but I cannot see an insurance company stripping down engines t osee what is inside, obvious things like S/C turbo yes, internal mods, I feel you would be unlucky to get found out for scammingthem out of.

disclaimer - this is not me advocating cheating insurance companies, all my mods are declared and any internal stuff will be insurred with rally insurance.

As regards the valves hitting pistons, nobody is realy sure why that happened as the page didn't translate, I think Pete might have said that he had a thinner h/gasket, what is needed is for some-one (I.e. me) to measure how much space there is etc.

Craig

richmicratwista said:
no pal
if ithings were cheaper people wouldnt see the need to do it.

It's simply not true though. Supply and demand shows that for a service based product such as insurance, with a low profit margin (the insurance market itself isn't hugely profitable), lowering the price will have very little effect on uptake.

Also, take into account the attitudes of most people - insurance is just a hoop to jump through so they can drive. The less they pay the better. If they can pay £500 without declaring mods, or £500 declaring then with a base insurance of £200, they will pay the £200.

Simple fact is, if you can't afford insurance then you should really think about whether you should be driving.

well i wasnt saying it to start an argument pal nor was i condoning not declaring mods.
also all mine are declared so i can afford my insurance, i stand by the fact that if it was cheap to declare mods people would, fact.

also if u r telling me that the insurance companies have a low profit margin thats rubbish.
service sector is by far the largest and fastest growing market and why, cos there is money to be made in a short space of time.

any way we'll have to agree to differ on this mate!! :p

Insurance is not a massively profitable business to be in. Profit, compared to turnover, is tiny. It's also a risky business, and many companies end up posting losses a lot of the time. Some companies operate the insurance system at a loss, with the proviso that the money they invest gives them a bigger return than the loss made. Competition between companies is fierce, pushing prices down pretty much as low as they can go.

Check the fact that they aren't nearly as profitable as a lot of other services, any news site will be able to show that.

If prices were lower, more people would use the service. That is a fact. But the drop in price combined with the increase in uptake would not offset the loss in profits for the insurance company. Again, fact.

But still most of the people who didn't declare mods before still won't, because it is cheaper for them not to. Maybe a few more do, but it won't be all of them by a long shot. So now you've got a similar amount of people with invalid insurance, and an insurance company desperately trying to claw back profits by other means (putting call centers in India, exempting more in your policy, increasing the excess, and so on).

It will never be cheap to declare mods. They look at the people who modify cars, and lo and behold, they seem to crash more, be broken into more, be stolen more.

on my Micra with 1 accident last year. I'm quoted £1900 for the 1 litre as standard. However, if I insure it with the exact same details but use my Auntie's address (a much quieter area) then it's down to £1200. If I insure with the same details at my address as a female it's around £900, and around £750 at my auntie's address. I really don't understand those kind of numbers.

I agree with Andrew, if people don't declare mods because it pushes the premium up, why would they if they lowered the premium? Insurance evaders will always try and avoid paying the insurance.

look i said my piece on this we'll just have to leave it at that
i agree within the service sector insurance by far not the most profitable
but insurance dont make a loss.

neither does any company set out to make a loss.
or only in the short term to create a strong customer base.

LOL THE END

back on topic if these parts were changed within the CG10, would the BHP be the same as a CG13 or slightly lower

richmicratwista said:
back on topic if these parts were changed within the CG10, would the BHP be the same as a CG13 or slightly lower

iirc craig got 73bhp from a cg10 using cg13 bits and performance exhaust

A lot of insurance companies make losses on insurance. Many have a combined ratio of above 100%, which means they are making underwriting losses. It is only the fact that they are making investment profits with the money they have that means, overall they are profitable. So insurance in itself often works at a loss.

yes i see what you mean they have a lot of capital to invest with

dr z when you say performance exhaust do you mean a full system and manifold??

as if. im with norwich union and told them bout the exhaut system and intake and it when from 1000 to 905. mental i know. the guy even said if your not planning on doing it you might as well get a its cheaper. its on my own insurance with 3 years no claims bonus (ive only been driving a year and a bit but with every 9 months i drive i get a years ncb)

i know whe i was with norwich union

if i took breakdown cover with them which was £60 my insurance premium went down like £200 so i got it 140 pound cheaper and cover for break down

lol madness

Dr Zoidberg said:
iirc craig got 73bhp from a cg10 using cg13 bits and performance exhaust
did craig just use the cams or did he use the crank, con rods and pistons aswell?

Adrian flux just amused me aswell. I get the same quote if not cheaper if i insure my car with a 1.4 Engine transplant then as it is now: a factory 1.0.

richmicratwista said:
i know whe i was with norwich union

if i took breakdown cover with them which was £60 my insurance premium went down like £200 so i got it 140 pound cheaper and cover for break down

lol madness

That ws just with cams, K&N and manifold, when I had the full ecxhaust+eManage I guess it was around 80 but have no figures to prove that, other than my last Pod run.

1.3 crank and the 1l pistons will have more power than a std 1.3, i think by a noticeable difference, but until it has been done, it is all speculation

Craig said:
That ws just with cams, K&N and manifold, when I had the full ecxhaust+eManage I guess it was around 80 but have no figures to prove that, other than my last Pod run.

1.3 crank and the 1l pistons will have more power than a std 1.3, i think by a noticeable difference, but until it has been done, it is all speculation
interesting

Raceworx i may be contacting you soon

Craig said:
ok, i think i'll give that a try and see what it's like. cheers.

Raceworx said:
NP man would be good to get inside the CG :D
lol you can get into two CGs if you want, im thinking this could be a tad easier then me swapping the whole engine.... still bit confused about it tho :)

Which ECU would you use? The 1.0, 1.3, or in my case 1.4? :S

A piggyback, spose would be easier with a 1.3 ECU but shouldn't make much diff, you may also have to run on optimax too.

sorry to revive a thread from the dead, would new crank bearings be needed even if the doner engine was low-mileage? coz they are like 60 quid for a set.. cheers!

Erm depends on the wear I think, if it is low mileage and looked after I wouldn't have thougth that they would be strictly necessary, but would prob be adviseable to put new ones in while the bottom end was in bits, end of the day, 60 quid is a lot cheaper than a new engine.

Back