Need to fill gearbox oil on Micra 1.2 1996

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
Cannot find anywhere to fill the gearbox oil on this model. Your "changing gearbox oil" article says there is a plug similar to the drain-plug towards front of gearbox - not so on my engine. Can I "release" the speedo cable assembly that appears to be held on the top of gearbox by one screw, edge it up/aside, and shove a tube in, fill there ? There is also a strange little bent tube with a "cap" on it, but the tube inside is very narrow - what is that ? Can I fill through that ?
Rod.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Erm, i dunno about anyone else, but i filled my gearbox up from the top, where the Oil cap is. Sure it takes a while and you have to pour, stop, wait, check a few times, but it works...

Or am i thinking something else?

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
Toma,

I'm not sure where you mean by the "oil-cap" - surely not the little thing on top of the gearbox like a pimple that comes off if you try hard enough ? The only Oil Cap on this engine is the engine-oil ( sump oil ) one.
As you have been kind enough to answer though, let me allow you into the JOKE of all this. THE REASON I have to replace this bloomin gearbox oil, is that when I went to do my first straight-forward engine oil-change - I removed the gearbox drain-plug instead of the sump - what a plonker eh ? ( Thought it came out a little "cleaner" than I was expecting !! )

Cheers mate, Rod.

cisco

» CMF Member
Rod,

What car do you have?

Your title says 1.2 1996 micra?

It is either a 1.0 or 1.3 if its a 1996 model.

Both have a gearbox filler plug. Its on the FRONT of the gearbox, i.e. kind of behind the bumper bar or front grille of the car. It faces out the front of the car, kind of on the front side of the gearbox. You will need a 3/8" drive ratchet to open it. Its there.

Unless you have some other mystery 1.2 micra that's not a k11.

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
Cisco,

Ooh, you got me there Cisco. Thanks for your reply by the way. I'm on the Greek island of Crete, and the car was first registered here - the owner's manual only tells me it's a Micra 1.2 and says the engine is an MA12. The car is new to me, and haven't studied the registration "plate" inside bonnet yet. I have seen on another website about this famous filler-plug at front of engine but trust me - it doesn't exist on my engine. ( Since I committed the "debacle" of draining the gearbox oil - well, life is a little "laid-back" here - I kind-of been looking quite urgently for ways of being able to drive my car again ).
Kneival's idea about prising off the speedo cable where it goes into the top of gearbox sounds quite interesting - what do you reckon ? Also your views on gearbox oil capacity please.
Rod.

cisco

» CMF Member
Your car is definately a K10 micra then.

Ours are K11 micras. K10 is slightly older - It isn't a 1996 model.

I'm sorry, I don't know where the filler plugs are on K10s.

But yeah filling the oil through the speedometer fitting hole is fine, I have done that on a K11, and it works fine. K10 should have a related gearbox, it will be fine.

I'm not sure about K10 gearbox capacity sorry, but a K11 is 3.1 litres I think from memory.

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
knieval, cisco, toma, micra-man, - many thanks gentlemen - mission accomplished.

The definitive way to fill gearbox on a K10 is to remove the speedo cable assembly. Cable pulls out no trouble after a spanner undoes the "sleeve". The "housing" then easily releases with a socket on the one small six-sided bolt ( it also has a phillips-type screw head on it ) - the housing then can be eased up and away. There is then a fairly sizeable and accessible aperture so you can fill the measured amount using a small bottle.
So, in fact, this proceedure is probably easier than using the designated fill-point that appears on the K11 - no need for tube etc..

Thanks again, Rod.

Back