1.0 micra REALLY slow?

hello everyone,

I joined this forum late last year thinking I was going to buy a micra but that never happened. and well the other week I decided to buy one and after driving it to USC and back (I live in Scotland so it was quite a drive) I found the little car being quite slow. at first I thought it was just because I'm used to driving my 1.6 astra but later on I was struggling to keep up with my friends 50 year old Morris minor and another guys pug 106... surely micras are not that slow?

what should I be looking for ?

thanks

hello everyone,

I joined this forum late last year thinking I was going to buy a micra but that never happened. and well the other week I decided to buy one and after driving it to USC and back (I live in Scotland so it was quite a drive) I found the little car being quite slow. at first I thought it was just because I'm used to driving my 1.6 astra but later on I was struggling to keep up with my friends 50 year old Morris minor and another guys pug 106... surely micras are not that slow?

what should I be looking for ?

thanks
It's a 1.0 with just 54hp.

A 1.1 106 has 59 iirc.

Struggling to keep up at speed or when pulling away? 0-60 should be ~14 seconds

It's a 1.0 with just 54hp.

A 1.1 106 has 59 iirc.

Struggling to keep up at speed or when pulling away? 0-60 should be ~14 seconds

thanks for the reply, even just pulling away it feels a lot slower. I have driven his 106 and it feels a lot quicker. I know the 1.0 has less power but I wouldn't have thought the power difference would be that different.

I feel like I always have my foot on the floor trying to keep it at 70 on a motorway etc which mustn't be great for fuel either (i'm going to start using it as my daily car once I start working on it)

thanks for the reply, even just pulling away it feels a lot slower. I have driven his 106 and it feels a lot quicker. I know the 1.0 has less power but I wouldn't have thought the power difference would be that different.

I feel like I always have my foot on the floor trying to keep it at 70 on a motorway etc which mustn't be great for fuel either (i'm going to start using it as my daily car once I start working on it)
Once you're at 70 you should be able to maintain that with light to little gas. Even my knackered 1.0 done 70 fairly easily.

When was it serviced last?

Once you're at 70 you should be able to maintain that with light to little gas. Even my knackered 1.0 done 70 fairly easily.

When was it serviced last?
well i just bought it so couldn't really say but the oil seems somewhat fresh and it has recent work done to it so i would imagine it was done. Although i was thinking of getting it serviced anyway. Would that usually help?

oh and on the issue of using the accelerator it seems if i let to of it much (still a bit on it) the car is slowing down like crazy. I had the garage check the brakes for binding etc and one brake was catching although that hasn't solved the issue.

Check ignition is 14 degrees btdc
Check air filter isn't blocked
Check fuel filter isn't blocked
Check cylinder compression
Check correct tyre inflation
Check there isn't an anvil in the boot
Thanks for the advice,

My friend just got a job at a garage so it's cheaper for me to get it serviced there then buy the parts I need myself(and I don't have to worry about my terrible mechanic skills breaking the car).

Will repost if this doesn't fix the issue.

Also
Check spark plug gaps and condition
Check HT leads (try swap with good pnes and see if it runs better

Recent fresh doesn't indicate good service history. It means they've changed the oil to sell it to you :p
Remove the rocker cover to check engine condition. Of course this isn't definitive. It will give a good insight to history. The blacker it is the worse its service history

I know a garage looked at them but my money's on the front calipers, you've described classic symptoms. You can also check if the discs are hot after a run, and try freewheeling down a steepish hill, if it slows, that's the brakes.

Good luck my man.

my 1.0l can take a 1.2l corsa and 1.2l clio. so i think you might be having problems, what problems i havent a clue but it should be quicker then that

I forgot to check the forum for a while(just started working full time again so free time is getting rare). It's supposed to be wet and not so great tomorrow , so will have a chance to give it a good run through. The brakes don't seem to stick as it's not slowing when it's not in gear etc. yet again thanks for the advice. Will report findings asap

Back