2001 micra - really slow...

Sorry if this sounds really thick, but I have quite recently bought a 2001 Nissan Micra Sport (3 door, 998cc), with 40,000 miles on the clock. Now I know a 998cc engine is not going to perform miracles, but my previous car was a 1997 Nissan Micra Vibe (also 3 door, 998cc), with around 48,000 miles on the clock, and the latter was considerably quicker from the off, and in higher gears it had vastly superior acceleration also.

To my knowledge, no work had been done to 'soup up' the engine or anything - so I was just wondering why my newer Micra was so much slower than the last one, and can anything be done to remedy this?

Many thanks in advance.

the pre98 1.0,s have got a lighter g/box and flywheel and lower gearing, which probably makes a difference :).
the coilpack 1.0,s (14"wheel) are probably quicker than the previous ones, having the 4.5:1 diff, superior coilpack system and probably better cams

the only way i got my 2001 1.0 micra to 'go' was to rev the tits off it (6,000rpm)... not good to do it loads though I guess

What's the service history like on the new one? My mum's 2002 was shocking until we gave it a full service. I drove it round the block and thought someone had concreted the boot!

Cheers for the info folks - I had thought the 1997 one must have been lighter, I got a top speed of 114mph out of it, I doubt I could do the ton in the 2001 'sport'.

Service history - there are no stamps in the book until 23,000 miles, and since then it's been done every year (no intervals over 9,000 miles). I'm guessing nobody changed the oil very often though. I've just had it serviced, but no real improvement.

To be honest I'm getting a bit hacked off with it, as the person before said, the only way to make it 'go' is to rev it like hell, which is never going to be good for it. Unless anyone knows of any cheap alterations I can do to give it a little more kick?

If not I think it's time to get it punted on and opt for a 1.3 or something - K11 of course!

Its probably just gearing and weight etc.

Also quite important is the '97 Vibe just has 13" steelies (155/70 tyres) and the sport models have 14" alloys (165/60 or 185/55), which are bigger and heavier and that will make a difference. I know for a fact lol as my 1.4 is currently running on 13" sr alloys (175/60) and they are so much nippier than the 14" steelies (165/60) that came with the car.

If you have any 13" wheels off a k11 roll them up to your wheels and you will see what i mean (Y)

Other than that its really worth getting a 1.3/1.4 as you can rev the pants off them too.

the pre98 1.0,s have got a lighter g/box and flywheel and lower gearing, which probably makes a difference :).
the coilpack 1.0,s (14"wheel) are probably quicker than the previous ones, having the 4.5:1 diff, superior coilpack system and probably better cams

checked out a 1.0 coilpack engine today at the scrappy,s, and no, the cams look identical to the previous 1.0, poxy profile, low lift ones fwn

Back