1.0 cams out and 1.3 cams in!

Getting home from work today I thought I'd gamble a little with my daily ride by attempting to replace the cams.
This is the first time I've done this and what I thought would take a couple of hours ended up taking 3 and a half hours, ending up finishing off by worklight in the dark.

Out with the 1.0 cams
8W0A4324.JPG

And in with the 1.3 cams
8W0A4325.JPG

First turn of the key the engine fired up and ran smooth as you like, Ran it up to temp no probs. Looking Forward to the drive to work in the morning!

Getting home from work today I thought I'd gamble a little with my daily ride by attempting to replace the cams.
This is the first time I've done this and what I thought would take a couple of hours ended up taking 3 and a half hours, ending up finishing off by worklight in the dark.

Out with the 1.0 cams
View attachment 35575

And in with the 1.3 cams
View attachment 35576

First turn of the key the engine fired up and ran smooth as you like, Ran it up to temp no probs. Looking Forward to the drive to work in the morning!

No problems on my way into work except I was smiling all the way! :)

Did you fit both cams or just the inlet ?

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

With everything apart it seemed rude not to fit both so in they went. I did check the Shims and compression which were all ok. However I do not have the usual 1 - 2 second rattle on starting the engine from cold anymore. Don't know if this is because of the cams or the service I gave the tensioner. Big smiles, just need to find the cheapest solution to increasing the rev limiter, I emailed fusion but have not had a reply yet...

Eh, is it worth it?

You're just delaying the inevitable gear change.

Very true but I believe the coilpack limiters activate too early meaning when changing up you just miss the next power band causing a moment of lag.

Previous to the coilpack I have now, I had a 1.0 dizzy celebration (and 2 before that) which would rev much higher, This was without the limiter trick. When accelerating hard, taking the revs all the way up, when changing into the next gear the car would be above the bottom of its power band so would be pulling hard straight away.

To be honest when thrashing a dizzy engine (I've had 3 now) it will sound fantastic (They really sing) as it reaches its peak, All the dizzies have driven have been the same. However I have driven another coilpack version as well as my own and they definately limit earlier. I recon there is another (Guess) 500-1000 rpm's to go as opposed to the untampered dizzy engine.

The coilpack limiter definately kicks in earlier than the dizzy engine. This is really annoying as the coilpack engine is still pulling like a train when the limiter drops its anchor.

The cam replacement has had a noticable increase in tourque in the higher gears, there is definately more pull. A motorway test on the way home tonight gave pleasing results. Sadly it has not eliminated the "Lag" as with the 1.0 cams in the lower gears.

there,s still a lot of known unknowns about tuning the coilpack k11,s, the advanced "self learning" of the motronic ecu for instance :cool: the gains to be had from enlarged t/b and bigger injectors etc, that tuning guy in shropshire says there are big gains to be had
Very interested in what the shropshire guy has to say, can you send me a link please?

How is she to drive in comparison to when the old cams were in there
Under normal driving conditions, identical to the standard cams, no noticable difference at all.
But... you can feel more torque under power. Runs perfectly as before with no difference apart from power increase, really noticed it in 4th on the motorway today, had a big grin! Got my cams from a scrap yard for a tenner, cheap upgrade, well worth the 3.5hrs work

Very interested in what the shropshire guy has to say, can you send me a link please?
this guy mate :) http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/is-...than-a-distributor-version.61852/#post-699529
the "lag" may well be slack in the chains tho (i had to advance mine about 15 deg) i remember when the k11,s first appeared, and even the 1.0 was pretty nippy (i was working for a big bodyshop that leased about 150 of them for £22.50/week all in !), but every 1.0 i have driven in the last few years would,nt pull you out of bed

the CGA3 limiter cuts in earlier than the dizzy engine limiter, the coilpack 1.0,s may do too ?

Im positive they do on the 1.0's. Ive had three k11 1.0 dizzies and all revved as high as each other. I've driven two coilpacks and they limit earlier for sure, Its a real pain as you just miss the power band when changing up in the lower gears.

that mark guy raised his to 7100 iirc, and that is a 1.4, the shortstroke 1.0 likes to rev higher still eh, and he dyno,d different size t/b,s too, to find the optimum boresize

this guy mate :) http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/is-...than-a-distributor-version.61852/#post-699529
the "lag" may well be slack in the chains tho (i had to advance mine about 15 deg) i remember when the k11,s first appeared, and even the 1.0 was pretty nippy (i was working for a big bodyshop that leased about 150 of them for £22.50/week all in !), but every 1.0 i have driven in the last few years would,nt pull you out of bed
that mark guy raised his to 7100 iirc, and that is a 1.4, the shortstroke 1.0 likes to rev higher still eh, and he dyno,d different size t/b,s too, to find the optimum boresize
At the end of the day I want to keep the engine as sensible as possible, I have other toys for thrills and spills. As a reliable daily hack one of my simple joys of the dizzy 1.0 was its motorcycle style revving, The coilpacks just dont cut the mustard with me in that respect even if they do have a claimed extra 5hp, they just limit too early/ earlier.

there,s still a lot of known unknowns about tuning the coilpack k11,s, the advanced "self learning" of the motronic ecu for instance :cool: the gains to be had from enlarged t/b and bigger injectors etc, that tuning guy in shropshire says there are big gains to be had
Yes yes :) Coilpack next you say?

Back