£400ish to get stereo up to speed

G

grahamglos

Okay, so I purchased a '97 Nissan Micra about a year ago, and have recently decided to get it up to todays modern soundsystem. I'd like to spend about £400-ish on everything - sub, amp, speakers on the parcel shelf, and an in-car radio with CD and iPod adapter. So on the way back from work, I hopped into the local Motor World, and saw these:

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/kroozin/show_prod.php?prod_id=10671

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/kroozi...57&PHPSESSID=adf9c1251ef40c69ce2b4ea3d01affb1

I think that's the kind of thing I'm after, is that a good price? Or should I be looking at an online dealer?

Cheers everyone

Rear speakers should be avoided for the following reasons.

- your ears face forwards as such a sound stage from the front of the car will always be 100 times better than that from the rear

- the combination of rear speakers and a sub will ruin overall sound quality. As the sub moves it pushes air around the boot, since the boot is mostly sealed the resulting presure changes will affect the cones of the 6x9's and distort the sound that they make.

give me 10 minutes and i will give you a link to a different set up

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5414

Hu

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3337

speakers, but will need baffles. Can make your own or pay a tenner for them from auto accoustics

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4278&cadid=fe9a8a453f228cb304e08c0445458006

sub system

£345 total

As for the headunit you can upgrade to a pioneer or alpine system which will give more control over the ipod

Edit: remember to factor in a tenner for a wiring adaptor

Okay, just two more things, so I dont screw up, which wiring adapter am I after? Just a generic nissan one?

And as for the baffles, could you recommend one? :-D I just don't want anything to go wrong :-S

Cheers

Great recommendations Mike :)

grahamglos said:
Okay, just two more things, so I dont screw up, which wiring adapter am I after? Just a generic nissan one?

And as for the baffles, could you recommend one? :-D I just don't want anything to go wrong :-S

Cheers

Yep, just a Nissan one to convert the standard wiring loom to the 'ISO' standard needed for the new headunit.

Here is what you should need: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1328

Not sure about the baffles as I've never needed them, but I'm sure Mike could assist you with these.

Looking at the headunit again im not too sure about it as it doesn't mention any pre-outs. Maybe worth looking at a Alpine or Pioneer headunit.

mike said:
Looking at the headunit again im not too sure about it as it doesn't mention any pre-outs. Maybe worth looking at a Alpine or Pioneer headunit.
From what I can see it has 1 pre-out (looking on other websites).

But yeah for ipod control, the JVC one looks like it just has a generic aux-in adaptor, whereas you can get dedicated inputs for most major HU brands (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc) that can actually control the iPod from your headunit. I have one of these on my Pioneer and it's an awesome bit of kit! I got it bundled with my headunit but on its own it costs about £60.

James.

James said:
From what I can see it has 1 pre-out (looking on other websites).

But yeah for ipod control, the JVC one looks like it just has a generic aux-in adaptor, whereas you can get dedicated inputs for most major HU brands (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc) that can actually control the iPod from your headunit. I have one of these on my Pioneer and it's an awesome bit of kit! I got it bundled with my headunit but on its own it costs about £60.

James.

Nope, its not just an aux-in adapter! :)

"The supplied iPod adaptor connects to the unit’s CD changer control interface through a J-link cable. With the adaptor, files stored on an Apple iPod can be played through the car’s sound system, the JVC receiver operates the iPod’s functions, and song title and other file information is shown on the receiver’s display. The interface is compatible with iPod G3, G4, mini, photo and nano."

i got the Song GHX200, it had all the connections for an amp and sub, and had mp3/cd playback and also comes with a front aux in port for ipods and other audio devices, im pretty sure hellfords were doing on a special offer for £80 instead of the usual £100

its worth a check out

to be honest id stick to one make for ur sound system. Im going all Vibe stuff. Ive got a Pioneer Headunit but my speakers and sub are Vibe and work very very well

£400 is enough for a decent sound setup anyway and there is nothing wrong with what mike suggested but imo id stick to one make.

Andy_S said:
to be honest id stick to one make for ur sound system. Im going all Vibe stuff. Ive got a Pioneer Headunit but my speakers and sub are Vibe and work very very well

£400 is enough for a decent sound setup anyway and there is nothing wrong with what mike suggested but imo id stick to one make.

Why stick to one make? There is no reason to do so.

aye get all vibe as my man andy said!! you da man

Vibe might be the 'best' brand that Halfrauds offer, but by no means is it the best available for the price.

Argh. Well, my iPod has died. So, I'm after a head unit which has a line-in, is that the aux-in cable you referred to?

I'm not bothered about being able to control what is played, i have all my music in playlists on a laptop... and my sister has an in-car charger for the laptop, so it'll be that playing the music i think. Or my sister's Creative Zen.

Cheers for the help (Y)

i had a cheap system from maplins which they dnt sell now. It had a SD card reader and USB port at the front, and it had 5v Pre out which sounded good and impressive with the rest of my install.

which all got jacked! but some systems out there have USB port on the front etc and SD card ports, this is great so easy to transfer mp3s to the system directly!!

grahamglos said:
Argh. Well, my iPod has died. So, I'm after a head unit which has a line-in, is that the aux-in cable you referred to?

I'm not bothered about being able to control what is played, i have all my music in playlists on a laptop... and my sister has an in-car charger for the laptop, so it'll be that playing the music i think. Or my sister's Creative Zen.

Cheers for the help (Y)

the head unit I posted about has an AUX in, so you can plug just about anything into it (Y)

Back