opinions please..

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
http://www.motor-world.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod_id=7939

good or not?! fwn

i would like to get a 12" sub and amp package for around the 150ish mark..so if anyone can recommend one better would appreciate it!

Attachments

• theroadtonowhere.jpg
    theroadtonowhere.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 224
thats the exact package i hav, same sub same amp! Its good, powerfull enuf to shake the whole car but id go for a bigger amp too and use the small amp to power a set of 6x9's!

kev_mono72 said:
thats the exact package i hav, same sub same amp! Its good, powerfull enuf to shake the whole car but id go for a bigger amp too and use the small amp to power a set of 6x9's!

cool, so would you def recommend it?

i think i will purchase it soon, i jst gotta gt paid first then pay off my holiday, phone bill, insurance, tax and save 4 uni! lol

i will have 2 look into that amp..cheers 4 ya help!

no prob, just check www.letsbuycaraudio.com for the package, dats where i got mine and i tink it was a little cheaper, so u wud save a bit of cash and be able to get dat 1000w amp to power the sub!
but if u cant get da 1000w amp, its still a good package! Just run about 4 guage wire to the rear so u can split it to run both the 250w amp and the 1000w amp (when u get it), may as well get the good wiring kit and save urself time changing it!

EDIT - Its actually a lot cheaper, and dont be fooled by the picture, it is the silver 250w amp dat u get, but dat amp is alright too if u do end up gettin it, still perfect for runnin a set of 6x9's! http://www.letsbuycaraudio.com/main/product/179/2/1368
Is the link for the package and www.monomicra.tk is my site if u want to check out the package!

What a load of trollop.

Dont get a Sony Xplop Pentagon sub - they are pretty rubbish for the cash.

Ignore the max power ratings - 1200w into that sub my balls.

Also, the £160 Kenwood is NOT 1000w, that is the MAX rating and you should ignore this.

You need to look at the Watts RMS rating of the subs/amps you are viewing.

That Sony amp will give you around 150wrms @ 4ohms which is pretty poor to be honest!

If you bump it up to £200, you can get a decent amp, wiring kit, and sub....

you can pick the sub up for 49.99
and the amp for the same,

so if you can find the bass box for less than 50 then it'll be cheaper to buy them seperatly,

PS i have the 12" penta sub and i have no complaints
i know i could get better but i don't want a sound system that is nothing but bass, i want an equal spred and the sony stuff does that well :)

had to fix your 77mp yet, pete? give it time. hope you've got some cash in the bank.

for the money the 8151 is a damn good amp.

what would you recommend to someone is on a budget?

i am not 2 sure about you opinion on the sub Retepetsir, i have looked through the internet for reviews on the product and one site i went on had over 60 reviews and not one person said the sub was bad..

Cel-direct does that same package for £130. They got a cuple of shops around the country but if there aint one near ya then im afraid its delivery, which is £10 or more if I remember correctly. Still save a tenner tho as opposed to the motorworld price.

Newimagecarhifi.com Check this out too. Prices on the web are fiver more than than they are printed in max power mag advert. These guys are not bad for us London boys. Check the 3rd one down in particular, JBL sub, box, GTO 2 channel amp and wiring kit all for £100. Not bad for the first timer. I might get that one actually.

my mate has 2 of them subs in his saxo, well good for the 100 quid..we did actually get his second sub from newimagecarhifi about 4 months ago..lol

the jbl's are good..

these subs will take what they say it will take aswell
alot of subs wont take the rms they say it will and this is what the sub is sposed to handle alday long ,, try this site
www.realmofexcursion.com

Have to agree with Pete also. There is way better stuff than that setup around.

Why not ask Kev what he can come up with for you?

RE: RE: opinions please..

Batch said:
had to fix your 77mp yet, pete? give it time. hope you've got some cash in the bank.

for the money the 8151 is a damn good amp.

what would you recommend to someone is on a budget?

I wouldnt look at Kenwood for value for money, I'd look at Magnat, Maystar and Mac Audio.

How do you mean have I had to fix my P77MP yet? Nothing I've used to date has gone wrong/fried/broken, etc yet thankfully :upside:. They were one of the most popular headunits last year, as they are so good for SQ. The problems people had were only caused by bad earthing :). I might be upgrading soon anyway, to Kev's Pioneer 9800!

Pete the ICE Man knows all

I was in a bad mood that day - I had a stupid presentation to prepare for o_O

i know i could get better but i don't want a sound system that is nothing but bass

The pentagon sub's dont tend to do SQ very well though.....so your not getting much else.

i am not 2 sure about you opinion on the sub Retepetsir, i have looked through the internet for reviews on the product and one site i went on had over 60 reviews and not one person said the sub was bad..

That's because the halfords/motorworld/max power people are talking, they probably havent heard much else. Sony use very clever advertising, and it sells. Some of their older kit was awesome, but Sony Xplop is just rubbish for the masses. Take a peak (and join up) at www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb, the biggest car audio community in the UK. Search for sony and you will realise what I am on about :). I dont say it for no reason.

If your looking at subs on a budget. I would seriously consider a JBL GT4 subwoofer. They are awesome for the money (around £50-£60 at motorworld, etc) and can take a hell of a lot of abuse. We ran over 2kwrms through one and it took that for over 2 minutes before smoking. I was tempted to buy a couple for SPL competition use, but I havent had enough time to design a box.

:)

There are better makes out there than Sony, who produce quality car audio products. :)

The Magnat mono XCite 801 amp is excellent, providing upto 450WRMS at 2ohms, I previously used one (and need to sell it soon), but have upgraded since :).

ye the jbl gt4 is probli the best sub ya culd buy for £50 if ya shop around and ypu culd get one cheaper!

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

It does with enough power...!

Check the JBL movie on that link that Rik posted.

The GT4 lasted for a stupid amount of time with tones of abuse!

i wouldnt buy sony tbh, retepetsir is pretty good there and tlking sence! budget on my installl in i had £750, so i needed to fill the car with that!

on a deal with a local place, running

2x Magnat Destructor 1200
Magnat Rock 1000 Amp
Magnat Rock 800 Amp
2x Magnat XTrac 216 Comps
Full Stinger Wiring

Now the comps arnt the best quality, but for the money you wont find too much better ! Im doing it on a fibreglass budget, and will be at JAE if you want to hear!

Just dont touch the following

SPLX (X is instead of ****, not allowed on advertising) - anything, dont touch anything they sell!
Sony XPlod Speakers & Amps

would you say it is better to get http://www.newimagecarhifi.co.uk/product_info.php?prodId=642&catId=81 (jbl one) or get the sony one with a box, but look for a better amp?

i think they are the options that i wanna go for..unless there is anything else for 150ish quid!..lol

sorry 2 be a pain, i am gettin paid in 2 weeks and i wanna sort out my sub then or i will start goin out on the friday nights and i will av wait till next month lol.

That package isnt too bad to be honest, but ideally you'd be better with a more powerful amp.

However, buying seperately it would be more than £150....

where bouts are you? i have a mac absolute 12 for 80, and an amp that will power it mac audio for bout 55!

You'd still need a subwoofer box and wiring kit tho......

I could suggest an amp, sub and wiring kit for £150ish, but then we still miss the box.

i wont need 2 buy a wiring kit..good thing about having a dad that owns his own garage is he knows people who will do jobs for him lol

all i need is sub box and amp for around 150ish..

Hi,

Been looking about for a sub/amp myself and this thread has been a great help. I was just wondering what you thought of this: VIBE CBR10 Active 10" Active Bass Enclosure.

I am not after something totally state of the art, just a decent upgrade at a reasonable price. I also have to bear in mind that I take hamsters in my car a lot (I show them) so have to restrict vibrations slightly. I have had Vibe recommended to me, but wasnt sure.

Cheers.

is that the little black box with the sub amp combo? because that is very very good and i'd highly recomend it :)

but also i'd suggest disconecting the sub when transporting hampsters because i think they are effected by the ultrasonic vibrations that we can't hear :)

any sub (if properly sealed/ported) will give a very strong thud that if powerful enough can make you sick or colapse your lungs!!!

that's why my sub is muted with toy stuffing ;)

BTW welcome to the forums :laugh:

Personally I'd steer clear of Vibe. Your paying for a name that's not all the great in terms of performance. You'd be better getting a seperate sub, box + amp combo and mounting the amp on the box. Would be pretty easy to make a quick release set up if needed.

what would you recomend hugh? i think vibe are great but alpine is better....

but personally i think the vibe 10" amp sub combo can't be betten for size over power. it's perfect for the micra boot :)

Thanks for that NeX. Its glad to know I am looking along the right lines.

As for paying for the name - looks like I can get that on eBay for £100 (ish) brand new, that doesnt seem to bad to me as I cant find it for less than £150 in the shops.

I must admit I was worried about vibrations and the hamsters - please note they dont travel in the boot! I was also thinking of making a little soundproof travelling box for them, but thats another story :)

So, Hugh, what do you recommend for a clueless woman on a tight budget?

Have you ever been in a car with a proper amp/sub setup? because that will give you an idea on how much vibrations you're gonna get.....

also it depends on what music your playing. if you play hiphop or D&B then you'll get alot of thudds that shake the whole car including where ever the hampsters are. keep that in mind :)

but it wouldn't be that hard to disconect if you thought it might be a problem

Go for a single 10" or 12" in a small sealed box. It'll just add a little extra bass, and the sound quality should still be great.

Next question, what headunit do you have???

i think 12 might be a little too big. unless you flush it you'll have no boot space....

10" def it's the perfect size :)

Ok, Budget - small as I just got my windows tinted in impulse :grinning: So max 150 but preferably near 100.

Head unit is JVC KD-G502, MP3 player with CD interchanger thingy.

I also need my boot, so size is important.

Thanks guys (and apologies for stealing the thread :) )

yep well the vibe 10" sub/ amp combo is the best you can get.

it's cheap

fairly powerful but not hampster crushingly powerful

and still gives you a good bit of boot space.

i can't think of anything that is smaller or as powerful for the same price :)

and i assume you have pre outs on your HU?

Ah you could have a problem then. pre outs are the Phono plugs at the back of the HU you should have at least two.

you then run a wire to the boot from them and that gives the amp its audio info.

where are u?

I am in south shields. I must also point out that the HU is still in the box as I simly havent had time to fit it (at least get somebody to do it for me). Will look for those bits.......

ok, do you know what you're looking for? they are little round plugs with holes in the middle. one should be red and the other is white...

hehe south shelds eh? thats a good 500 miles away :down: good luck anyway, sorry i can't actually help....

Just been in the box. There are four round plugs with holes in two red and two white. It says it has 2 lines out. Also in the manual it says you can add an amp.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 255
that's perfect. it has four pre outs which is two more than the avarage player. it means you can put two amps on and fade between front and back.

all you have to do is get an amp wiring kit and wire it in with the amp plugged into the rear pre outs.

then you can fade the balance to the front if you thing the sub is too powerful.

LittleMiss I'll see what other options are available to you. Might be an idea to come to the next meet if you can and have a chat, plus you'll get to see what others have.

yea someone can help you install the HU and amp wiring because it is a bit of a b!tch the first time round :)

I will defo be after some help for installation of all this :)

Dunno if I will be able to make the meet though as I think I have a ham show on the same day :-/ Its 5th March right?

ham show eh?

come down to brighton for the south meet on the 27th hehe,

a bit of a mission but if you start driving now you just might make it :)

Back