mileage clocking

clocking up not down, so that the mileage reads what it should do. changed my clocks to superS clocks and the mileage reads lower then what it did when my car was last MOTed, should i remove the clocks and then stick a drill on the thingo at the back and drill away

isnt it illegal to tamper with the clocks at all? up or down? Just to what matildas dad did in the film

Ben said:
isnt it illegal to tamper with the clocks at all? up or down? Just to what matildas dad did in the film

god knows if it illegal, but surely the mot tester will notice when he looks at the old certicate(sp)

it is not illegal to tamper with mileage, it IS illegal to then sell your car and not informing the person of the correct mileage.

its not illegal as far as i know to even sell a car with clocked milage and not even tell the buyer. as long as you havent claimed the milage on the clocks is genuine you are not miss-selling. its upto buyer to ask. you dont have to have any milage indicator in a car by law. you could just tape it up if you went to an mot. i guess MOT tester would just write "milage unknown" or something.

wilsonian said:
Dave with all the trouble you've had with this car why don't you just buy a Super S or an SR?
trouble? ive not had much trouble with the car, i changed the clocks and the mileage reads different lol

Take off the speedo head, bend back the crimped legs holding the toothed cog spindle in place, lift the cogs free and the numbers are free to turn to what you want, then put back the spindle and recrimp the ends.

rlees85 said:
it is not illegal to tamper with mileage, it IS illegal to then sell your car and not informing the person of the correct mileage.

Correct :grinning:

Or you could so what i did ( my mileage is 46K and the super-s was 102k)

Take your original speedo and fit it in place of the old super-s clock, then take the trip counter piece out (unscrew it) from the Super-S unit and screw it into your original speedo unit.

So then you will have the trip counter from the super s in youre orignal speedo unit,

Then either cut a square hole (in the dials face) so you can read the trip counter display, and drill a hole for the re-set stork (you can use the clear backing plate that the dials face rests on as a template)

Or if you have a CG13DE you can just do a straight swap of the dials face from the super s to your car.

But if you have a CG10DE you need to either cut some holes or get a dials face from a 1.0 LX

(as the speedo faces on the 1.0 and 1.3 differ and would give false readings (1.0 goes to 110Mph and 1.3 goes to 120Mph, and the speeds are in different places);

on my 1.0, 60Mph is just past half way (12o'clock), but on the 1.3 60Mph is just Before halfway

It shouldn't have affected the speedo reading at all, are you sure you didnt put any pressure on the needle or its return spring ? or if you removed the needle have you put it back in the right place ? thats the way I did mine and that reads correct all the way up.

hughes_16v said:
god knows if it illegal, but surely the mot tester will notice when he looks at the old certicate(sp)

Nope! My odometer is going down and the MOT people dont care!

just write down the desired mileage on a post it and put it in place of the trip and hope they dont notice

sonic said:
It shouldn't have affected the speedo reading at all, are you sure you didnt put any pressure on the needle or its return spring ? or if you removed the needle have you put it back in the right place ? thats the way I did mine and that reads correct all the way up.

postive mate. going to have another look tomorrow

It may be because you are using a speedo that is designed for a 1.3 on a 1.0?
Do the 1.0 and 1.3 have different gear ratios?
im not entiely sure

If you do the crimping method, there is no need to remove the needle.

yes its 1.3 dials in a 1ltr but its always been ok before. only seems to shoot up to 35 when accelerating but when cruising along its at 31 for 30mph., before it was 26 for 30

Well if the speedos have different scales on it, then of course it will not over-read now that you have put a dial with a smaller scale on it in.

Back